News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bridges with E-Z Track

Started by jdlowndes, December 17, 2015, 05:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdlowndes

I am very new to trains and I am working with my daughter to construct a 4x8 layout in the HO scale.  Can you please tell me what all parts I will need to construct a bridge while using the EZ Track that was included with the set I purchased.  I have purchased additional EZ track for the layout I want.. Thank you in advance for your help!!

jdlowndes

If that will work, that will be great. I wanted more of a bridge with sides, if possible! However, if the simple piers will work, I'm good with that.

Brings up another question...  Will a normal/standard HO train fit under the piers you are talking about?

Flare

I've seen supplies for HO bridges with sides online, but I haven't used them personally.

That set is designed to be used in a figure eight with an HO train passing underneath it with over three inches of clearance.  Bachmann also has an expansion set of all tall piers to make it longer in addition to a taller set of graduated piers that's almost 4 inches tall.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_366_368&products_id=2530
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_366_368&products_id=2543

jward

one of the things to watch out for using the pier sets is that the grade may be too steep for your train to climb. experienced model railroaders recommend as gentle a grade as possible, under 3% or 1/4" rise per full track section if possible. 4% or 3/8" rise per section is the uppermost practical grade, where your locomotive will only pull 1/6 of what it will pull on the level. steeper than that, and smaller locomotives such as percy or Thomas are practically useless. to get the necessary 3" of vertical clearance for one track to pass over another, this translates to 12 sections of track for 3%, and 9 sections for 4%.

pier sets are intended to be used with sectional track like ez track. the piers go under the joints between track sections, to provide support for the weakest part of the track. the Bachmann 14 piece pier set has two each of 7 different heights, with the tallest being 3 3/8" tall. with one under each track joint, that would be a grade of about 5 1/2%, way to steep for a model locomotive to pull more than a couple cars. you would have to experiment to see if the joints between the ez track sections are strong enough to support the weight of your locomotive without bowing under the weight. if so, the easiest solution would be to space the piers every 1 1/2 sections. this would drop the grade to about 3 1/2%, in the acceptable range.

there are two other solutions. another company makes foam risers in 3% and 4% grades that will provide excellent support for ez track. or, you can make your own bridge piers out of 1x4 pine board, cut in 1/4" or 3/8" increments of varying heights to get you up to 3" clearance.

on a final note, the center span of the bridge, where it crosses over the track below, would be a good place to put one of those through girder or truss bridges that several companies make. my personal favourite, which is no longer made but can be found at train shows or on ebay, is the "blinking bridge" from Bachmann. I found the blinking light to be annoying so I removed them, but this bridge closely resembles truss bridges commonly used in the area I live.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

In the same places jward mentioned, particularly EBay, the trestle bridge portions can be found also made by AHM, TYCO and I believe, Life Like.  Altas also makes girder bridge sections and they can be found in those places as well.  If you get the Atlas one or any of the other ones, look to get a straight section of Nickel Silver track to span the bridge section that is Code 100, to match the EZ track.  Stay away from brass or steel.  Atlas also makes grey bridge piers meant to support the span on either side and allow enough room underneath the span for a train to travel under.  I think the Atlas stone looking piers to be among the best of that variety.

You did get the nickel silver (grey roadbed) EZ track, didn't you?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jdlowndes

Thank you all for the information!

No jbrock27, I'm sorry to say that i didn't! Being new to this, and just discovering this forum today I just went with what was in the box, I had no idea there was a big difference... (If you don't mind, can you please explain the difference...)

jbrock27

Yes certainly.  Nickel silver (n/s) track is the best you can buy, steel one of the least bc n/s tends not to oxidize as quickly or frequently and will not rust, steel can get rusty in moist or humid environments.  Nickel silver's conductivity maintains while steel may not over time bc of rust and oxidation.  Cleaning can be done to correct that but n/s track will require cleaning less often.  For the purposes of soldering, such as rail joiners or feeder wire to the rails, that can be easily done with n/s track and is much more difficult with steel track.  I am sorry this is less than ideal news.

Would it be possible for you to return what you just bought or exchange it for n/s?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

JB the Bachmann train sets come with steel track unless they are dcc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Everyone?? 
I thought there are sets of track sold by B'mann that are n/s, aren't there ??? 
I also know Athearn sets come with nickel silver EZ track. 
Jeff, I don't see above anywhere where jds distinguished what "set" exactly he bought, just that he bought EZ track.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

in his original post he mentioned using the ez track that came with the set.

as I said, Bachmann dc train sets come with steel, the dcc come with nickel silver.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

And as I said, Athearn sets come with n/s EZ track.  He did not say whose or what set he bought, right?  All that he said is EZ Track that was included.

Unfortunate about the Bachmann DC sets, but thank you for the info.  I will have to keep that in mind, the next time I go to buy a trainset, which will be never... ;)

Again, are there not "sets" sold of n/s track, like, oh, this one?:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2493
Keep Calm and Carry On