News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO

Started by reddog552, December 17, 2015, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on December 18, 2015, 11:29:05 PM
you could add extra feeders as others have suggested.
"Others"?  Ahhh, don't you mean, me ???

Quote from: jward on December 18, 2015, 11:29:05 PM
I would then solder that  joiner to the rails to provide more reliable contact.

But as you have fondly pointed out many times in the past, this is going to verrrrry difficult if this happens to be steel track.  And, if you read what is going on, doesn't sound like his friend is too keen on soldering, so, just sayin...
Keep Calm and Carry On

AGSB

I would suggest he tell his friend to join the forum so answers can be gotten direct from the horse's mouth. 700 miles is nothing to the internet and a lot faster than trying to relay information through a third party.

jbrock27

Another fine suggestion :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Richards Electric:  Electrician here, at yoru service, Ma'am...
Hey Jim; what was it you asked me about?
Hey red hot dog; what does the motor say on it?  I think if you look really good, you will see a "D.C'. thing there somewhere...   And Like Hunt says...
Being as this is the season for giving, the house call today was free...

Rich C.

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 19, 2015, 12:15:08 PM
Hey Jim; what was it you asked me about?
Rich C.

Nothing.  Why ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Quote from: Hunt on December 18, 2015, 10:51:17 AM
Hopefully the track is not connected to the ACCESSORIES 16VAC terminals (push to open, release to close). If it is, that explains why locomotive will not move as the locomotive is equipped with a DC motor. 
They will move in a/c for not very long though.MAJIC SMOKE comes to mind .Been there long ago.Try it some time if you think it will not.
Ha! Johnny

jbrock27

Not sure, why, even as a joke, you'd suggest someone destroy their DC loco by running it on AC, J.A. ???

Now, if you told someone to take a hammer to their pancake motor driven diesel loco, that is a joke I could get into ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Uae a test light .A multi meter will work ,but will lie to you if there is a corroded rail joiner.The test light for automotive will not lie .IT WILL SHOW DIM on the bad side of the connection and a multi meter will not because the bulb in the test light is the load reading the true current and will find it much more accurately then the multi meter.
Johnny

jbrock27

You understand the multi meter was suggested to be able to check the power pack, if it has not been checked already, right?
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 19, 2015, 03:43:51 PM
Not sure, why, even as a joke, you'd suggest someone destroy their DC loco by running it on AC, J.A. ???

Now, if you told someone to take a hammer to their pancake motor driven diesel loco, that is a joke I could get into ;)
Did you miss .Been There! I did this my self long ago.Fair warning to others in a way they could understand Smoke is not good unless it is a pancake motor.That is normal thing for them especially if you run some a/c into them like I did .Kind of entertaining at the time.Would never give bad advise purposely Jbrock.

jbrock27

That's good that would not be your intent.  And no, I did not miss you experienced it firsthand, but you also challenged someone to try it if they doubted you.  Keep in mind not everyone here may be playing with a full deck, if you know what I mean...
Keep Calm and Carry On