News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax slowing down at higher speed?

Started by tbdanny, December 18, 2015, 04:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbdanny

Hi all,

I've got an On30 climax which is experiencing a rather unique problem.  Up to about speed step 64, it will accelerate normally, with no signs of slowing.  However, when I go faster than this (speed steps 65-127), then the locomotive will begin to slow down.

I have checked the mechanism, and replaced some parts that were slipping on their shafts with replacements from the Climax gear set, however the problem still occurs.

I've performed additional testing, by running the mechanism without the driveshaft to the wheels or the gearbox cover in place.  When running like this, I cannot see any parts that are binding, but the motor just seems to slow down for brief periods at random, before getting back up to speed again.  As such, I suspect there may be a fault with the motor itself.

Does this sound correct, and if so, how should I go about fixing this?

ScottyB

By chance did you recently adjust any of the speed table CVs? That's my only guess.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

tbdanny

Yes, yesterday.  But the speed table is identical to my other Climax - which is working without any issues.  This problem has been occurring with this model for months, even when it was just running on a simple (VStart) configuration.

Hunt

Do a decoder reset. Run it for awhile without any changes to any CVs.

If it slows down with the factory default settings check the wiring.

tbdanny

Hi,

I've checked the model with a factory reset of the decoder.  Even at full speed on the throttle, it only reaches about half of what my other Climax will do (along the same section of track).  What exactly should I look for in the wiring?  I haven't touched the wiring in this model since I bought it, and all the other locos on my layout run without any issues - I've feeders to every section of track on the layout.

robinstrains

Have you tried another decoder if you have one?  I know they are expensive.
I remove all  factory circut boards and hard wire the decoders directly.( There are some exceptions to modern diesel locos with all those lights)
Should you decide to open your Climax I could help you as I just went through the motions. Although they are a wretch to work on but with patience and TLC it can run well.
Have you run the model without load at your work table?  If not ,then try it and see what results you get.
Hopefully it is not the motor. Bachmann only sell the motor gearbox and chassis together as one unit for 150 bucks plus shipping.
Good luck !
Robin

tbdanny

I have run the motor without load at my workbench, yes.  I dismantled the gearbox and ran it so that only the worm gear was attached to the motor.  I could still hear it speeding up and slowing down, without any load on it at all.

Given the cost of decoders, plus shipping here to Australia, I'd probably be better off buying another engine.

robinstrains

yep! That makes sense. Have you considerd  servicing the motor yourself?
Robin.

tbdanny

I'm aa bit wary of doing so.  The more complicated athan mechanism is, the less chance there is it'll work when I put it back together.

robinstrains

I understand how you feel about that.Yesterday I had to partially take apart my Davenport motor as it fried my decoder. I was apprehensive about servicing it but, In the end I did go ahead with it and it turned out to be a very successfu project. Today I ran the model for 30 minutes in each direction without any hesitation or speed variations. I had a small fire on the Commutator.
Robin.

tbdanny

You mean the actual motor itself?  What would I need to do/look for?

robinstrains

Yes! The actual motor it's self.
This is what you need.
1) alcohol (not to drink. Lol) rubbing alcohol.
2) cotton buds.
3) sandpaper 1000 or 1200 grit
4) sharp pointed knife. ( like exacto)
5 ) good pair of tweezers.
6) And a good dose of confidence with a steady hand. I was nervous too,but it paid off.
Do you still have the motor out or is it back in the loco?
If I am not mistaken the Climax motor is similar to the Davenport except a little bigger.
Robin.

2foot6

The first thing I would be doing is swapping the decoders from each loco,this will show if its the motor or a decoder problem.If the other climax slows down then its the decoder.If it turns out to be the motor,its probably the tension of the springs pushing on the motor brushes or faulty brushes.All these things are fixable.How old is the climax and does it make any additional noise when the problem occurs?What part of Aus are you in.....cheers Peter.

robinstrains

Hi peter, I am a Canadian who lives in Switzerland. That would be the first thing to do is to swap decoders. My  Climax I purchased from a guy in British Columbia Canada. He poor chap did not enjoy the model more than 3 years (out of  warranty) when the drive shaft ( the 2 prongs that go into the 4 hole universal joint) broke. I told him as long as all the parts were in the box I would be OK. I fixed it once I got it.
I have had the model for 6 years.
On this forum I wrote a article under the heading "A sick Climax" a few days back as I was having electrical problems. Read it if you like. Other than a
gear issue she runs well with no noises. The motors in these models are undersized for the weight and size.
Robin.

robinstrains

Hi peter, I am a Canadian who lives in Switzerland. That would be the first thing to do is to swap decoders. My  Climax I purchased from a guy in British Columbia Canada. He poor chap did not enjoy the model more than 3 years (out of  warranty) when the drive shaft ( the 2 prongs that go into the 4 hole universal joint) broke. I told him as long as all the parts were in the box I would be OK. I fixed it once I got it.
I have had the model for 6 years.
On this forum I wrote a article under the heading "A sick Climax" a few days back as I was having electrical problems. Read it if you like. Other than a
gear issue she runs well with no noises. The motors in these models are undersized for the weight and size.
Robin.