Baldwin 2-6-6-2 and Airwire C-19/K27 drop-in decoder

Started by Trainman Ward, December 19, 2015, 09:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman Ward

I own a Bachman Baldwin 2-6-6-2 engine.  I want to install an Airwire decoder and Phoenix sound.  The engine has a plug and play socket on the control board.  To install an Airwire decoder would the C-19/K27 drop-in decoder work or will Bachmann's supplied decoder plug or the Airwire adapta plug be needed.  And is there enough room for a Phoenix sound module as well?

Kevin Strong

I would think you could use the C-19 plug-in board without any worries. The only caveat would be the space available, to see if it will fit in the opening when you lift off the dome to get to the board. Having said that, you'll likely have to take the top of the boiler/tanks off anyway to fit the batteries in, so you can probably make it work. I don't remember exactly how much room there is.

There will be no trouble fitting the Phoenix board in there along with the Airwire board.

Later,

K

Trainman Ward

Thanks Kevin.  After Christmas I'll disasseble the loco and see how much space I have to work with.  One would think with such a massive engine there would be room to hide an elephant.  We'll see how I do.  I just wanted to be sure that the pin assignments for the C-19 match the socket.

edmc

Hi Trainman and Kevin. When I did my 2-6-6-2 I had to enlarge the opening for the Revo board.
A 4 cell 14 volt battery pack will fit in the fuel bunker if you use the oil tank top. The Phoenix
board sits down on the right side.

Trainman Ward

edmc

We call the Revolution Receiver board the "Revo board".. This plugs into the onboard plug & play
socket.
The sound board is mounted inside the tank shell. I attempted to attach pictures but was unable too.
Merry Christmas  ..ed