is there a remote add on for r and l switches?

Started by Basstrombone1, December 22, 2015, 09:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basstrombone1

I am new to HO, and have grown my layouts to the point where I would like to find out if there is an Bachmann electric switch add on that I can connect to my manual switches, so I can operate them from my control board. I have looked at the online catalog, but I don't see anything of that description. I would prefer not to buy the already installed switch, but will if there is not a kit to modify my manual switches. Thanks for any help, and Merry Christmas!

Jhanecker2

To basstrombone 1  :   There is no  Bachmann  kit to  add  electrical switches  to manual  switches as these are built in underneath the roadbed . That said  , there are ways to control   turnouts and crossovers but  you will have to  consult the pages of  Walthers  HO Reference Catalog and Various  Kalmbach  Books to see what is available to the hobby .  John2.

Basstrombone1

Thank you for your reply. I was afraid of that. There is a pic in the Bachmann/Schleicher EZ track manual, that shows a pic on page 11 of what looks like an external switch. That was probably the old style before they put it under the track. I will look at your other recommendations. Thanks!

Len

It's possible to use Tortoise under table switch machines to activate manual EZ-Track turnouts. You can either gut the mechanism and come up directly underneath to connect to the throw bar, or come up along side and use the Tortoise to move the manual activating lever.

The first method involves modification to the roadbed so the activating rod can move the throwbar. The second method takes some creative scenary to hide the activating rod, but still let it move.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

On the heels of the above excellent suggestion, does anyone know it is possible, with some modification, to use Atlas under table switch machine?  I understand that table top depth is a consideration, but I have seen YouTube videos of mods made to the "post" of the machine to make it work in different applications and increased depths.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Hmmm...I haven't tried it, but there might be space to mount the Atlas under-table machine in the roadbed void with a little creative surgery. As with the Tortoise, a slot would have to be made in the roadbed for the activating pin to connect with the throwrod and move it back and forth.
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I never did it either :D.  Your good idea made me give some thought as to whether it would also be doable with the under table Atlas machine.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Reinhard S

These are excellent suggestions should a Bachmann electrical switch fail.  ISO replacing the entire switch, make a retrofit with a Tortoise switch machine.

All the best.
Reinhard