News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout Locomotive Sounds

Started by wb2002, December 20, 2015, 11:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wb2002

I have a DCC system and about 13 diesels equipped without sound. I would like to know if there is anything like under-the-layout sound equipment that could imitate the sounds of the locomotive and be sync'd with the control of each of the locomotives similar to action/sound of having a sound decoder/spkr in the engine itself.

wb2002

Hunt

Click Here for info about SurroundTraxx DSP-80  Multi-Train Sound System for DCC

wb2002

Thanks for response and suggestion. Now I remember why I did not have much of model trains when I was a kid - too expensive. Are there any other decent system like this?

Thanks

wb2002

billgiannelli

Is this used instead of the DCC decoders in the locomotives?
Thanks
Bill

Hunt

Bill,
Your question is answered in the product information in the link How it Works.

jward

this is the sound system I have been dreaming of.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Desertdweller

You may want to check out the Kato Sound Box.  This plays through a central or under-the-layout speaker.
It carries nothing on the locomotive itself.

There are various sound cards available to produce sounds appropriate to different locomotive models.

I use one and am happy with it.

Les

Hunt

The Kato Sound Box is for use with analog (DC) control.  Sounds for one type of locomotive at a time.

jward

the kato sound box also does not follow the train around the layout like the soundtraxx version does. a few months back I had described a "dream" sound system similar to this, I had no idea one actually existed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

If cost is the issue, someone used to make a shack building with a whistle in it that would blow when you pushed the button.  That ought to be pretty cheap.

wb2002

Quote from: Trainman203 on December 24, 2015, 05:01:24 PM
If cost is the issue, someone used to make a shack building with a whistle in it that would blow when you pushed the button.  That ought to be pretty cheap.

The only thing that is "cheap" is your response. How can you be so insensitive to make such a comment as this? Sarcasm is not required.  The cost is always an item for many.

kewatin

i have and still use MRC SYMPHONY 77 system that mounts under my layout. you have achoice of using it in either diesel mode or steam.you can control or sync the idle to start up and running sounds for each. i got this system 4 yrs ago &now most of my locos are sound equipped i still have an occasion to use this unit for locos i haven't added sound too. i paid $50 new for this  when it was on sale at a large maryland e tailer but checking ,they have no stock but you might try e bay. their are also buttons for x crossing gate bells. all aboard, volume control ,bell, different whistles and diesel horns etc. i think if you can find one ,it would suit your needs and are reasonably priced.
regards&later merry xmas  KEWATIN

Desertdweller

When I posted, I forgot that you are using DCC.  The Kato Analogue Sound Box only works with DC.
The device has to be in the circuit to the locomotive, so it cannot work with DCC.

Les

electrical whiz kid

Firstly, I will recommend going to "Greenway Products" (greenway.com), and go to their electronics section.  They have a pretty good selection of horns, toots, and whistles to tickle your fancy, as well as other sound cards.
WHat I do is set up a speaker (a simple 8-Ohm) in an enclosure; now, as an example, I have a speaker at-say-a tunnel portal.  to control what happens, I have a selector switch going to several sound card, each emulating a different steam type whistle (all steam layout), so I have some variety, to say the least, when a train is coming out of the tunnel.  Now, I also have a momentary switch in series with these componets, so as to whistle when I need to.

An other eample is the service facility; Again, several sound cards are employed here; coal dropping into a tender, wattewr sloshing into the tender, a drifting (idling) locomotive, the sound of a conveyor bring up anddropping into the coal tower, coal, and on and on...

This is a partof this hobby that, for some reason, is just recently being gotten into as it has.  Not sure whay that is, but it sure makes good stuff better.  Now, all we need is to satisfy the olfactory aspects without offending milady's schnozz...

Rich C.

wb2002

Thanks for all responses and suggestions. After looking into this concept I think the SurroundTraxx system is quite the best application for  the under-the-table approach and best for me. Only problem is that it cost $over 400.00 to acquire. For many this may not be a problem at all but for some others it is a major monetary addition to a layout. I only wish there were more competition, where in most cases, have the benefit of reduced prices for the consumer.

Again, thanks to all