News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Autoreverse Unit

Started by jbwilcox, December 22, 2015, 03:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbwilcox

I am trying to find information on the Bachmann Autoreverse unit but nothing comes up.

What exactly is this and how does it work?

How is it wired?

Chuck N

John

I'm not familier with the Bachmann autoreversing unit, but I am familier with LGB's and one made years ago by PH hobbies, no longer in business.

I would imagine that the Bachmann unit would work on similar principles.  The ones I know about work on a timing circuit that changes the polarity to the track.  At each end of the point to point is a track with a gap (LGB 1015U), open so electricity won't pass.  A diode is placed across the gap.  Diodes let current flow in one direction only.  As the engine crosses the gap it stops because there is no electricity.  When the timer changes the polarity to the track, the engine gets power to head down the track in the opposite direction.  It will stop after passing the gap at the other end and wait for the polarity to change.  

The LGB and PH hobbies units have a dial so that you can adjust the length of the time between polarity changes.

Diodes can be quite useful.  Using a passing siding, I can park one train, usually Thomas, and run a second, Percy, in a clockwise direction. If I stop Percy on the main between the switches and between two gap tracks, one with a diode and one without, he will stay there.  I can then reverse the polarity to the track and Thomas will proceed in the opposite direction (counter clockwise).  His passing siding also has a diode across one gap and an open gap.

The switches are spring loaded and always direct Thomas or Percy into the correct siding.

Here is a diagram of the passing siding setup.

I hope this helps, it is a little difficult to explain.

Chuck

Flare

Hunt

Click Here to view a segment of Bachmann video about the E-Z Command DCC Automatic Reverse Loop Module.

Chuck N

Since I've seen your posts on MLS I assumed your question was about "G" gauge.  The last post looks as if it is an HO system.  I can't offer any further help. 

Chuck

jbwilcox

I am getting away from Large Scale.

I am currently planning an On30 layout.  I already have a lot of Bachmann rolling stock and several engines.  When I return from Germany I plan to sell most of my Large Scale equipment.  I should have started in On30 ten years ago!

jbwilcox

I am assuming that this reversing module can be used with NCE Power Cab DCC or does it have to be used with Bachmann equipment?

bapguy

If you're talking about one for a reverse loop, then yes it will work with any DCC system.   Joe

AGSB

Let's get some terminology squared away here. What are you asking questions about? You were asked the question in the third post and still haven't responded. An autoreverse unit just automatically runs a train back and forth on a single section of track. An automatic reverse loop module changes the polarity of track voltage when a section of track loops back on itself. The terms are not interchangeable, so which one are you requesting information about?

jbwilcox

Sorry about that!

I am asking about the autoreversing loop module.

How does it work?

How do you wire it?

Any other information regarding its use would be appreciated.

Hunt

Quote from: jbwilcox on December 25, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
Sorry about that!

How does it work?

How do you wire it?

Answers to your questions are contained in the links provided in reply #3 and #4 in this thread. 

Flare

How do you wire it?

You connect the input to the main line (which also provides power to the module) and the output connects to and powers an electrically isolated section of track in the return loop.

How does it work?

When a train enters the isolated section from the wrong direction, the module senses the short circuit and instantly reverses the isolated section's polarity.  When the train exits the isolated section it triggers the module a second time, re-aligning the polarity once again and the train continues back onto the main line.

1: It's not compatible with analog locomotives.  DCC only.

2: Your train cannot exceed the length of the isolated track section in the return loop.

3: If you only plan to run one train on your layout, you can save money by wiring a single module to multiple loops.

4: They're quite handy for wiring turntables as well.