News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

guard timbers and guard rails for flex track

Started by billgiannelli, December 27, 2015, 12:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
Have you used any of the polyurethane mediums yet?
There is a product called "signboard", which is pretty dense stuff, but do-able, with good tools. 
Another one I ran across in one of the modelling mags.  This material seems to be better, more adaptable to what we would use it for. 
None of it is exactly cheap.  I had scrounged a bunch of polyurethane sample blocks from one of the signage people I do business with.  This stuff comes in thicknesses of about two inches and less, is machine-able and finishes up nicely.  I am going to look for this other product, probably at maybe Dick Blick, or AC Moore.
What have been your thoughts?
RIch C.

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 05, 2016, 09:40:29 AM
I am going to look for this other product, probably at maybe Dick Blick, or AC Moore.
RIch C.

Rich, how about Hobby Lobby or Michael's?  I don't ever see them for Hobby Lobby, but do often see coupons for Michael's.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Wayne,

Interesting. I never thought of an acrylic paint being solvent based. I've just used the Tru-Color straight out of the bottle, and never thinned it.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Wayne....have a look at this type of material.

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/craft/styrofoam.htm

We've used it to shape missing automotive parts and make molds with to cast new parts from.(Think knobs and hood ornaments)

3D printing is rapidly making that method obsolete.

Sid

WoundedBear

Wayne.......epoxy will hold it as will regular 3M Spray 77 adhesive. I've seen bigger chunks held with fiberglass resin.

Sid

billgiannelli

wayne,
I have to ask, as it is not clear to me. For just the plastic models (excluding the ties, rails, etc) do you use testors cement for plastic or CA?
Thanks
Bill

billgiannelli

Hi Wayne,
sorry for making you repeat yourself.....I think I get it now! lol
you kept saying "contact cement" and I kept thinking "rubber cement"....not the same thing I realize now!
I will have to try contact cement as the testors is making quite a mess...
thanks again for all your help! :)
Bill