News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

8 pin connector with PCB

Started by billgiannelli, December 24, 2015, 09:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

I bought a birney streetcar that comes with a 8 pin connector that has a pcb 'embedded" into the connector.
I am trying to solder a sound decoder to the "dummy connector"(that also has the pcb).
I may have damaged the connector with my brutal soldering.
replacement 8 pin connectors I see available online do not have the pcb.
my question is, what is the pcb for and is it needed?
thanks
Bill

jward

that sounds like a dummy plug, it is meant to let the trolley run on dc. to convert to dcc, you remove this plug and insert a decoder with the 8 pin male plug on the wiring harness. save the dummy plug. it may come in handy at a later date.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Bill,  I encourage to research and understand what the dummy plug does so you realize why it should never be connected to a DCC decoder.

billgiannelli

so having not learning about dummy plugs as Hunt suggested, I ended up butchering my dummy plug for my birney streetcar. can I use any 8 pin dummy plug for DC operation like those sold by digitrax.
thanks
Bill

Hunt

Bill,
The Digitrx DHDP can be used but is NOT what you should use. The DHDP is a 9-PIN JST dummy  plug and requires using a wiring harness. You do not want all that extra unused wiring in the harness taking up space.

Contact Bachmann Service Dept. for a 6-pin dummy plug or two 3-pin wire dummy plugs. 

Hunt

Bill,
The Digitrx Digitrax DHDP can be used but is NOT what you should use. The DHDP is a 9-pin JST dummy  plug and requires using a wiring harness. You do not want all that extra unused wiring in the harness taking up space.

Contact Bachmann Service Dept. for a 6-pin dummy plug or two 3-pin wire dummy plugs. 

Hunt

more . . .
The Bachmann Parts Dept list the pair of  3-pin wire dummy plugs as Sold Out
Click Here