EZ Turnouts N scale - voltage/power specifications

Started by tpgates, December 14, 2015, 03:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpgates

I am controlling my turnouts with a Programmable Logic Controller.
Do they require 12vac or ??DC? Continuous duty or pulse to position?

Len

The standard turnouts will operate using either AC or DC power between 12 and 18V. They use solenoids to move the points, so you only want to apply mometary power to avoid burning them out. The safest way is to use a Capacitive Discharge Unit (CDU) that will only apply a momentary pulse of power no matter how long the control button is held down. CDU's are available commercially or you can find plans on-line to build your own.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

70RoadRunner

I am just getting back into the hobby after 30 years and I just setup a layout with 6 turnouts (Atlas N Code 80 Switch Item 2705 and 2704). I use a Bachmann DC power pack just for the accessories. The track layout is DCC using a separate Bachmann EZ Command DCC controller. I created a switch panel for all the switches and used DPDT ON-OFF-ON Momentary Mini Toggle Switch AC 250V/2A 120V/5A (Amazon 10 pack $12.83) to control them. However, it is hit or miss on if it will switch the track or not. Sometimes it works perfectly sometimes it goes halfway and sometimes it just hums. I have read about the Capacitive Discharge Unit (CDU) in some posts and it sounds like this is the way to go. Can someone shed some light on if this is best option and where to purchase this unit and the best way to wire it up.

Also note that I checked the accessory voltage output on the brand new Bachmann controller and it is registering 22 volts, which I believe is high and should be as Len stated more like 12 to 18V. So this might also be a problem.

tpgates

Being a controls engineer I erroneously assumed a duty cycle similar to a double solenoid detent pneumatic valve and destroyed three of my four turnouts before I realized that they were overheating. I had written a little subroutine that exercised them continuously to wear them in a little. Lesson learned!!! I ordered four new turnouts and installed them. One of them would not respond and after thirty minutes of pondering what I did incorrectly, I checked the resistance between the three leads and discovered that the each measured 12ohms instead of 24ohms and it was a dead short between the two coil sides. Removed the metal plate and the short went away, bad from the factory.
Purchased another...I am now using a 50msec. pulse to shift the direction. The 1769-OWI relay outputs that I am using have a 10msec. response time so I might shorten the pulse until they do not respond and then bump it back up. I am using a 12vac transformer for power. I might eliminate the transformer and use the 24vdc that I have available with a shorter pulse duration. I might even use a 1769-OB16 with the 24vdc and put a capacitor on each output to protect the SS device from the inductive spike.

The little Plymouth Diesel that I am using to test the track does not pass over the turnouts smoothly, I am very disappointed and do not have the time to try to tweak them with a file.

The ConCor Blue Goose Loco/Tender (purchased used) evidently had some wear on the insulation of the fine wires between the two, they came in contact with each other and evaporated like a fuse. I realize they do not want the conductors to be visible but a heavier ga. with good insulation in black would have been much smarter.

My expertise is industrial control systems (plcprofessor YouTube channel and www.plcprofessor.com) and I am not a model railroader but I do love trains. This is a Christmas tree layout to reuse every year.

Thank you to everyone who provided advice and good railroading...