News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newby Whoopso

Started by Traveler, December 24, 2015, 11:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveler

Hi all,

I just opened a new train as I jump back into Model RR after about a 35 year absence. I've done a lot of reading and am excited to start building upon what I've acquired. That said, I ran into a little hiccup. I don't think it's serious, but was curious what the experts would say.

Upon opening the package, I found a bottle of clear liquid. I couldn't figure out if it was a lubricant or liquid smoke. The package contents did not state, and it felt like a it might be a lube so I put a drop on all the axles.

Had I turned the page one more time, I would have seen that it was actually liquid smoke. Having no pride whatsoever (ok, not true, but screwups like this don't really phase me), I thought I'd ask if it would be okay to run the train a few hours as is (most of the liquid has been removed) until I can get a light oil to put back on.

I've already waited a week to put this together and had hoped to get it up for in the morning.

Thanks.

-BT.

Trainman203

You might end up with a scale "hotbox".  :o :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_box

Hot boxes are from a bygone era.  I saw one lighting up the Frisco yard in Amory MS one night back in 1964.

electrical whiz kid

I believe this stuff has an oil base anyway, so "re-applying" a compatible lubricant will probably take cafre of things.  That said, just put it on the track, and apply a little power to it.  Just take your time until you are confident the problem has been taken care of.

Rich C. 

Traveler

I was trying to figure out how to wire a sensor up to check for the hotbox. Then realized melting plastic would be its own give-away.  :D

I did wipe down the trucks and reapplied a drop of light oil I had in my tool bag.

Out of curiosity, does anybody tune their trucks in any way (aside from an occasional drop of oil)? Some of the wheels roll freely and some don't. I'll take a spin through the forums to see if the question has been asked before.

Regards.

-BT.

jward

you can buy a truck tuner tool that reams out the journals. with this tool you can get any wheelset to roll freely. this tool is only for use on plastic trucks, though it will work with metal wheelsets.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Desertdweller

Traveler,

I like your idea of using a trackside heat sensor as a hotbox detector.  Don't know if the condition would ever develop on a model railroad to trip one of these, but it would be very prototypical, as this is how the detectors used on the actual railroads work.  You should be able to test it using an incandescent bulb, such as a grain-of-wheat bulb.

Les

jbrock27

Blues Traveler, on which truck/wheels did you apply lube? Trucks/wheels on cars or locos or both?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

An aside ---

* HO Rolling stock *
Normally the trucks on a Tender, any freight or passenger car will need lubrication. If  the rare need does occur, then use only a dry graphite lubricant -- no oils or grease. If needed, use the dry graphite lubricant in the coupler box.

jward

hunt not to quibble but didn't you mean to say that trucks normally do NOT require lubrication. because this has been my experience.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Edit

* HO Rolling stock *
Normally the trucks on a Tender, any freight or passenger car will not need lubrication. If  the rare need does occur, then use only a dry graphite lubricant -- no oils or grease. If needed, use the dry graphite lubricant in the coupler box.

jward

thanks hunt, I figured it was a misprint.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

As an SOP, I do-graphite.  As they say; an ounce of prevention...

Rich C.

Hunt

The plastic used to make trucks has little surface friction. Only if the surface is damaged should a dry graphite lubricant be used.

Traveler

Quoten which truck/wheels did you apply lube?

Both. I've gone back and wiped them down. I actually did think about graphite as Hunt suggested, I have some from the kids pinewood derby days. Once the existing mess is dried up, I'll toy with that; we had pretty good experience with the graphite in the model cars. I'm very much treating this new train set as my experimental set. Not emotionally tied to it and I know it was a low end model. If I can bring it up a notch by playing with it, I keep busy and feel accomplished.

Trying to decide on whether to get the MicroMark truck tuner, replace the wheels or just replace the entire truck (or some combination of those options). I know technically I don't need to do any of it, but it seems like something that should be experimented with.

QuoteNormally the trucks on a Tender, any freight or passenger car will not need lubrication.

Thanks, Hunt. I will NOT be oiling the rolling stock in the future. Some lessons are cheap and easy to remember.   :D

-BT.

jbrock27

The reason I had asked the questions, which my esteemed colleagues anticipated, was to say in the future, don't lube the trucks on rolling stock with liquid.  You don't really want to lube loco wheels either for that matter, unless it is Conducta Lube in selective spots in very small amounts. 
Keep in mind, while the truck tuner is a great tool, don't use it on metal trucks.

What train set is this?
Keep Calm and Carry On