News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newby Whoopso

Started by Traveler, December 24, 2015, 11:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveler

It is the Chattanooga. The giver of this gift didn't pay list.

Now, I'm wondering that since the trucks don't need any lube since they are plastic, should I remove them from the cars and wash them with a degreaser (a la dish soap) to may sure there is nothing to attract dirt, lint etc.?

I don't generally consider myself AR, but I do like to have an SOP for steps that I will repeat and there is a certain amount of comfort in knowing that things are "just so".

On a side note, I've never been able to answer the question, "is anal retentive hyphenated?"    :D

-BT.

Traveler

Found this thread. Will proceed accordingly.

Thanks.

-BT.

Traveler

After removing the trucks and gently cleaning them with warm water and a little dish soap, I rinsed them in running water and then swished them in an alcohol bath. My assistant carefully reattached them.

Once put back, I made the startling discovery that the wheels all now spin pretty freely. My working hypothesis is that the wheels, being fresh from the factory, simply needed to be run a bit to break them in. Before, I had some wheels that would barely revolve a full turn when finger spun. All now spin for a few seconds.

Thanks again.

-BT.

electrical whiz kid

That worked out for you; I am glad.  Good operational wheels are critical to your ultimate satisfation.
Good luck.

Rich c.

jbrock27

Quote from: Traveler on December 26, 2015, 10:39:19 PM
Found this thread.
-BT.

Good, you found what I call a "classic". 
Like Rich, I am also glad you solved things.  If you intend to expand your rolling stock collection, I do suggest you obtain the truck tuner from Micro Mark for future use :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
I have been using LaBelle Lubes for a long time.  They are made specifically for locomotive gearing and valve rigging.  No complaints yet.

Rich C.

jbrock27

I know you do, you have mentioned it several times before.  I know it is good stuff, but with the name, comes a higher price, for stuff you can get that does the same, for a lesser price.  Just my viewpoint.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
Point well taken.  Also said; we pay our money and place our bets...

Rich C.

jbrock27

I also see your point. 
It is just that when brand X is putting out synthetic oil for moving metal train parts and brand X is putting out Teflon grease (PTFE based) and that is all the same as what LaBelle puts out, I don't see the risk involved with going with brand X.
Much like when I buy 5W30 oil to change the oil in my truck, I don't care whose name is on the quart bottle, as long as it has the API Service SN circle/label on it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

It's your jing; it is your choice...this is what I, and a bunch of other guys stuck their necks out for.  How about you?

Rich C.

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 28, 2015, 07:18:06 PM
...this is what I, and a bunch of other guys stuck their necks out for.  How about you?
Rich C.

You're exactly right it is my jing and my decision to spend it how and where I wish.  If I can help by giving others options they may not have given thought to, then all the better. 
And oh, I'm sorry, do I need to have served in Nam, in order to have an opinion of where my $$ goes?  Or are you suggesting I should  thank a VET every time I go to make a purchase?  Do I need to provide my family history to you, to somehow satisfy you that I am entitled to have freedom of choice?
I think you need to step off, Rich >:(.
Keep Calm and Carry On