Speed Controller Issue; Jingle Bells Express; ID #0072

Started by The Hawk, December 28, 2015, 12:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hawk

Purchased Jingle Bells Express on 12/24/2015, worked/ran fine (maybe 3 to 5 hrs) until yesterday. Turned it on and the train automatically ran at the highest speed no matter if we set the controller at low or medium. There was only one speed, fast, no matter where the controller was set at. Also, noticed that when it was shut off, and we switched the direction switch, the train learched/moved on its own about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch, without being turned on. Is this normal? What would cause these two issues? Do I need to send the controller unit in for repair/replacement or do I need to return the entire set?

jbrock27

Not normal, no.
Have a digital multi meter?
Where did you buy the set from?
Contact the Service Department about sending it (just the pack).  Their contact info is on the front page (Home) of the Web Page.  Have the receipt/proof of purchase?  Warranty Card?
Consider how much the cost is to send it back.  You instead, may want to put the $$ toward an MRC power pack.
Keep Calm and Carry On

The Hawk

I don't have a digital multi meter.
Purchased from West Valley Hobbies, a Hobby shop near my home.
Sent email just a minute ago to the Bachmann explaining the concern and requested them to contact me to advise how to proceed.
I do have the receipt from the Hobby store I purchased from. Sending warranty Card today at lunch time.
I am not familiar with what the MRC power pack is. How much are they?

jbrock27

Quote from: The Hawk on December 28, 2015, 01:17:15 PM
I am not familiar with what the MRC power pack is. How much are they?

They are DC (analog) power packs with very good, just about bullet proof, reputations.  Even the used ones.  Search the net for prices.  There are many on EBay for sale, new, like new and used.  Also stores that list online have them as well, maybe even the good ole LHS (but I suspect the prices are higher there).  As I said, even used, a very good purchase.  These are the black plastic case ones I am referring to not metal cased ones-those have old technology.  You want the new(er). ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

No need to buy a new power pack. It sounds like an issue with the speed controller. Just call the service manager Laura Harris at (215) 533-1600 and tell her you just purchased the set and what the problem is. She will be happy to send out a replacement.