2-8-0 Connie Outside Frame won't go forward

Started by davepenn7, December 28, 2015, 08:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davepenn7

Hello Everyone,
I have 2 2-8-0 Connies, one recently purchased from Gold Coast Station which has metal gears. The other has been repaired by Barry Olsen which include replacing the drive motor. Both were running very good until recently. I made sure my track was good and clean including using a swifter wet mop to get the gunk off the track. The very same problem with both engines just happened. Both engines will go in reverse just fine. Yet neither of these engines will go forward.
     What are the odds of this problem happening to both engines at the same time? Does anyone have a clue as to what happened.?
Thanks for any help.
Dave

Chuck N

Have you tried picking up the engines, turn them around and putting them back on the track to see if they run forward?  Or testimg the track with a different engine?  It sounds to me that there is a problem in your polarity switch on your power supply.

Chuck

Do you have a volt meter to check the voltage to the track in both directions?

Kevin Strong

I would agree with Chuck's diagnosis. The two locos have very different drives, so with both suddenly exhibiting this behavior, I'd rule out it being caused by the drive train. Barry's drives are about as bulletproof as they get.

Flip the "NMRA/Large Scale" polarity switch in the smokebox of each locomotive. The loco should run the opposite direction when you do that. If they move backwards, it's not a mechanical issue with the loco. Check the voltage going to the rails with a voltmeter. Make sure it's changing polarity when you change direction on the controller. (If you don't have a volt meter, grab another loco if you have one available--and then keep your eyes open on the sales fliers for when Harbor Freight is giving away volt meters.)

Later,

K

davepenn7

Thank you Chuck for your quick reply. I have tried other locos (LGB Diesel) and it runs great in both directions. I have also tried 2 different Controllers both Bridgewerks 15 amps. Neither engine worked and the controllers indicated 20 Volts but did not show any amps. Unfortunately I haven't tried switching the polarity yet nor have I cleaned the wheels. My back yard is wet from El Nino.
As soon as I can I will try what you suggest. I really appreciate your feedback and will let you know what happens.
VR,
Dave

Chuck N

You might try testing it inside.  Put on its back or lay it on its side and touch the wheels with leads from your power supply and slowly increase the power.  Try this in both directions.

There is a big difference between what your power supply reads and what might be going to the track.  If you slide the control handle up it will read increased voltage even if it isn't connected to anything.  The critical thing is that the amps read "0".  That says to me that the engines aren't getting any power.

Chuck

If you lay it on its side support it at the front and rear so that the drive rods are free to move and not touching anything.