News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where to buy switches

Started by Vizzin72, December 29, 2015, 06:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: Vizzin72 on December 31, 2015, 07:51:38 AM
I didn't see the comment you were referring to with the plastic part???

On your other thread that you started, bro.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: Vizzin72 on December 31, 2015, 07:51:38 AM
Plus, I think having a double pole, in the future, I can some how run a relay off of the second pole (for the switches that don't have two turnouts) to have light signals flip flop.

As presumably, you ordered momentary with Center Off switches, I do not believe they will not work with signal lights to keep them on, bc of the "Off" and the momentary features.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Vizzin72

When I pulse the turnout switch it will briefly send current to a latching relay they will send power to a latching relay, the relay will switch the lights which are powerd through a separate power source

jbrock27

Ahhh, my Crystal Ball failed to inform me of your using latching relays.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Vizzin72

Jbrock .... I think you had suggested being able to use cat5 wire somewhere when we were talking about welding switch wires .... I unraveled some (each wire has two twisted separate wires). I noticed the individual wires are extremely small gauge.  Are you sure 16volts and whatever the amperage is for my Bachmann turn out motors won't melt that wire ?  I tested it and it definitely functioned fine as for as throwing the turnout, but it makes me feel awkward going from a lower gauge wire (had some laying around from the original packaging of the turnout ... Red wires) to a higher gauge.  I don't want to cause a fire or anything of course by accident.

jward

you can buy multi conductor "doorbell" wire of about 18 guage at lowes or home depot. by the foot.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Vizzin72

Surely, but I had the cat 5 laying around, it was free and enough length for my needs.  I only want to purchase more wire if there is a reason to.  Just was not sure ignite is taboo to go from day 18 gauge to say 24 gauge or whatever is two steps down.  Know what I mean? I spliced the lighter gauge to the heavier gauge, not to mention the gauge of the power wire to my turnouts is slightly different as well so I actually have in one case three different gauge wires pigtailed. 

jbrock27

Vizio yes, I have used it with no fires or issues.  By my stripping tool, the stuff I have been using is about 22 or 24 gauge, stranded wire.  Thicker than a human hair, as you see.   As my good friend Roger  would say, we are not talking about High Tension electrical lines here.  The real work is to cut the sheathing and reveal all the different colored wires.  It can easily be done if taking time and doing it carefully.

Quote from: jward on January 05, 2016, 11:45:08 AM
you can buy multi conductor "doorbell" wire

Yes, of course, as had been previously suggested:

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 30, 2015, 09:13:16 PM
...Mr. Ward's door bell wire would work.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

I will add, I have not spliced wire of 2 different gauges together for my purposes, bc I use Atlas turnouts/switches so my wires have gone directly from control to switch machine.  So I don't know of any, if any, impact there is to splicing 2 different thickness wires together.

Perhaps you run the wire bringing power to a barrier strip then run your EZ track wires from that, to the EZ track turnout/switch.  Not sure that is really necessary though.  What gauge is the EZ track green wire?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Vizzin72

I'm not sure it doesn't say on the wire and if it does it's too small to make out, but for certain it is smaller than the Bachman red power wire probably one size smaller... The cat 5 wire I salvaged is prob two sizes smaller

jbrock27

Unless someone can elaborate reasons otherwise, I don't believe you have cause for concern.

PS-I rec'd my drill bits from Malaysia in yesterday's mail, after they had been mailed on 11/19/15 :D.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Vizzin72

Oh man that's brutal bro .... Better be an awesome drill bit.  Thanks for your help on the wires

jbrock27

See my message on here from 12/30-2 bits.  One dollar each, no rush, so okay to take the slow boat from Malaysia for me ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On