News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Plymouth Switcher ?

Started by brokenrail, January 01, 2016, 12:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenrail

Was looking through the Online ho seeker literature diagrams and was interested in a Plymouth switcher.The Diagram showed a 3 axle Plymouth switcher with the split frame design reduction gears,and 2 of the 3 axles were gear driven witch is confusing since the Bachmann online diagram is a little different .
1 shows a pancake motor ,and the other shows a can motor with the traditional worm gear.Very interested in that one ,but I am not sure on the part number and if it is a Spectrum or a standard white box .Like the idea of both axles powered ,gear reduction and a can motor in one of these ,but a pancake motor is out of the question,,, and do not want to get stuck with one of those.A little help or knowledge would be appreciated  ???
Johnny Adam

Len

There were two versions of the MDT Plymouth done by Backmann. The first one had the pancake motor, and example woult be the painted/unlettered item 41-0600. The later edition had the can motor, with item numbers in the '600xx' series, e.g., 60002, 60039, 60040. Internal drive parts are not interchangable between versions. Read descriptions carefully if you search for Bachmann MDT Plymouth, as the N-scale Plymouths fell in the same number series.

Also be aware there are MDT Plyouths out there by other manufacturers using other drive set ups that sometimes end up in Bachmann boxes. The AHM version uses a vertically mounted motor with visible carbon brushes, like a miniature post-war O-scale motor. Mantua/Tyco used a single end can motor to drive a central spur gear that in turn drove both axles. I think Tyco did a later version using a single end can motor that just drove the rear axle. It might have been Revell, but I don't have time to look it up right now. And Model Power did a can motor drive in an "HO" Plymouth that's actually closer to On30 scale.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

brokenrail

Thanks Man! Happy New Year! I have seen a tyco/mantua with there nternal truck motor that has 2 worms at the end of each motor shaft that drove 2 axles.There was a video out there where it was re-powered using the original motor shaft and gears with 2 pulleys and a drive belt.Smooth and they managed to get the correct pullys for a good slow speed switcher.Model power has a new one that drives one axle .That does not get it for me.Finding the can motor Bachmann version is proving to be difficult.
Maybe Bachmann is going to make a new version hopefully since there already doing one in N scale any clues??
Johnny Adam