Sound Value Configuration Variable Defaults files

Started by Hunt, December 27, 2015, 04:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

"The CV listings for the Sound Value locomotives that we link to on the SoundTraxx website are accurate and up to date."
  Quote Yardmaster http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,31178.msg230560.html#msg230560

The statement is untrue, based on files available online today, 12/27/2015.

I just spot checked several Configuration Variable Defaults file and depending on locomotive, there are discrepancies between the installed decoder and its Configuration Variable Defaults PDF file.
   An example, Bachmann HO EMD DD40AX Sound Value Equipped, CV 51.

brokenrail

CV 51 controls the beacon light output function on the dda40x .This has not been corrected,but for the record, it is the same as the Tsumani default. They have 4 lighting outputs ,so if somebody wanted to rearrange the lights and add ditch lights it could be done and controlled just like the Tsumani. Had a idea to renumber one to 6936 and add the ditch lights that would work,but too many projects going now.
Johnny Adam

brokenrail

Hunt,
Did you ever try cv 217.It is there and is some type of noise reduction and does have a effect on the way they run at a slow speed .I Googled it,and found that it was told to a customer at a train show directly by one of the soundtraxx reps. .Why is it not listed either?How many more of these adjustments are there, but not accurately described in the manuals available so we can fix it or adjust it to our own preferences??

Hunt

brokenrail,

Depends on the SoundTraxx family of decoders what CV 217 controls.

The Bachmann OEM Sound Value - CV 217 includes the BEMF master ON/OFF (value of 2 = ON, 0 = OFF) and default value is 2. CV 217 should not be changed by the end user as value 0 degrades the locomotive running performance. Thus properly CV 217 is not listed any Bachmann Sound Value Configuration Variable Defaults list.

The Configuration Variable Defaults list should only have CVs supported and intended for the end user adjustment not a list of every CV on the decoder.

Two examples of CVs on Sound Value decoder and properly are not on CV Defaults list:
  CV 113 - Quiet Mode Timeout Period, can be programmed but does nothing as the CV is not supported.
  CV 139 - Brake Squeal Volume, can be programmed but does nothing as Brake Squeal sound file is not present.

My Configuration Variable Defaults list focus is
  CVs that should be on the list and are not
  CVs that are on the list and should not be
  CVs that are on the list but their default value is wrong

My focus is current,  not on any discrepancies that once existed between decoder and its Configuration Variable Defaults list but now corrected.

brokenrail

Understood,My focus also being the default list be accurate and up to date and also complete.Along with its own manual.It would be a good idea under cretin circumstances to know that there is a on/off switch for the bemf.This should be advised ,but left up to the end user since he or she did pay for it .I myself have used this and it does make some difference .In certain areas Better.It is pretty remarkable that such a poor job has been done with this area since it is very new to many exploring dcc and dcc and sound and referring a Chevy to a Cadillac manual is as shade tree as it gets .The customers that support this deserve better regardless of the price .
Johnny

Bucksco

The CV lists are on the SoundTraxx website. Bachmann supplies a link to the information that is provided by SOUNDTRAXX. We have contacted them regarding correcting these minor discrepancies and they will correct them. Considering that SoundTraxx is in the midst of moving their business to a new facility it may take a little time so some patience is appreciated.