News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consolidation 2-8-0 engine

Started by B C Carr, January 02, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B C Carr

I am a new (and old age) train owner. Have not yet set up layout. Question: Can the above engine 2-8-0 run on the tightest curve track? Someone told me it could run only on a curve track which makes a 9 foot diameter circle. Because of space limits I would like to run on a tighter curve in places. Please send email (carrbc@aol.com) if you can.

Thank you so very much!

Chuck N

The Bachmann web store says to use 8 foot diameter or greater.  If you want to use 4' diameter curves you need cars and engines with a short wheel base.  The best are rolling stock with two axles. 

Small two axle diesels or steam engines with two drive axles, a single axle leading and/or trailing truck is OK.

There is a lot of wear and tear on engines and track is the engine is too long.  The wheels will grind the rail head and the drive train on the motor block will require frequent repairs.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi B C Carr,

I have two and mine run fine on 8 foot diameter curves and have for many years.  Most of my curves are 10 foot diameter and I prefer the larger diameter as much as possible.

Welcome to Large Scale railroading and have fun with your new layout!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

StanAmes

Quote from: B C Carr on January 02, 2016, 02:52:22 PM
I am a new (and old age) train owner. Have not yet set up layout. Question: Can the above engine 2-8-0 run on the tightest curve track? Someone told me it could run only on a curve track which makes a 9 foot diameter circle. Because of space limits I would like to run on a tighter curve in places. Please send email (carrbc@aol.com) if you can.

Thank you so very much!

Bachmann has built two 2-8-0 locomotives.  The C-19 2-8-0 that is currently in their web store was designed to operate on R2 or 5 ft diameter track.  Naturally it looks a lot better on 8 ft or larger diameter track.

Stan

Chuck N

Stan

We do not know which engine he has.  My concern is that an engine with 4-axles on the motor is stressed at a tight diameter curve.  Experience, mine, has shown that manufacturers minimum design diameter is a minimum for short term running, like under a Christmas tree.  Long term running on a regular basis is entirely different.

Which Connie 2-8-0 are you talking about, with a 5' diameter minimum?  The current web site says that an 8' minimum diameter is recommended.  There is no way my 10 years old outside frame spectrum 2-8-0 will handle < 8' diameter curves on a regular basis.  It is not a C-19, is there a BH C-19?

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Good point Stan,

I have both the original Connie 2-8-0 and the newer C-19 2-8-0.   in my above reply I was referring to the original 2-8-0 rather than the C-19 2-8-0.   In the Catalog it says the C-19 performs best on 8 foot diameter curves or better, and in the online catalog it also says 8foot diameter as well.  Neither mentions a minimum diameter.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_433_702&products_id=5288

Stan I was wondering where you find the R@ or 5 foot minimum diameter info???

Bill

StanAmes

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on January 02, 2016, 06:20:11 PM
Good point Stan,

I have both the original Connie 2-8-0 and the newer C-19 2-8-0.   in my above reply I was referring to the original 2-8-0 rather than the C-19 2-8-0.   In the Catalog it says the C-19 performs best on 8 foot diameter curves or better, and in the online catalog it also says 8foot diameter as well.  Neither mentions a minimum diameter.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_433_702&products_id=5288

Stan I was wondering where you find the R@ or 5 foot minimum diameter info???

Bill

Bill

By testing. 

The C-19 has two blind drivers and lifters (which can be removed) on the blind drivers which keep then from dropping beneath the rail height. 

When going around the 5 ft diameter track the 2 blind drivers are actually off the rail.

The 1:20 cars on the other hand do require 8' diameter track.

Stan

Chuck N

Thanks Stan.  Is that anywhere in a public data base?  If not, it doesn't exist, until now.

I won't disagree that it,will handle 5' diameter curves.  My question is for how long.  I know some one who runs LGB 0-4-0s on R1 (4' diameter curves) all the time.  He has to replace his track every couple of years, because the rail head gets worn down.  I think that in the long run there might be a problem with 5' diameter curves.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Stan,

Very interesting, I would have never thought of actually testing my C-19 on such a tight curve,  even with the blind drivers.  Of course just because you can do it doesn't make it practical.  As you point out the cars can't do it even if the loco can.

Whatever prompted you to test it like that??

Bill

B C Carr

My sincere thanks to each of you for your helpful information. I am working on the layout, but taking your advice and sticking to 9 foot circle track. Again thank you all so very much.

BC Carr