News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

laying down cork roadbed

Started by billgiannelli, January 03, 2016, 05:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

when laying down cork roadbed on top of foam board would it be ok to use any type of glue like elmers white glue or wood glue?
thanks
Bill

Len

Yes. Use long T-pins, available at most craft shops, to hold it in place until the glue dries.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

billgiannelli

as always, thanks a lot Len!
Bill

billgiannelli

why is the cork roadbed split in two down the middle instead of one piece?
Bill

Hunt

Cork roadbed is not laid as it comes out of the box.

Out of the box the cork roadbed strips come slit down the middle at a 45 degree angle. You separate the two halves.  When you lay, the sloping edges go on the outside for ballast slope. What were the outside edges are butted against each other along the centerline of the track.

billgiannelli

Hi Hunt,
thanks for the info!
yes I understood that, but why is it that way?
thanks
Bill

Hunt

Minimum loss of material and handling from a manufacturing perspective.

billgiannelli

Len

It also gives a slope to the edge of the ballast, without having to pile it deep along the edge.

Len

electrical whiz kid

Len and Hunt;
I have been using the blue adhesive with good results.  Also, I use a length of moulded aluminum as a straight reference atop the cork, and temporarily screw it down lightly; just enough to conform the cork to a near-perfect flat-ness.  I have found that being really fussy with this pays off in big dividends, so I use it whenever I can, particularly on turnouts.  This piece of aluminum is actually a part of a cutting system; I found it on-line at Roeckler tools.

Rich C.

Len

How do you get the screws to hold in an extruded foam layout top??

Len

jbrock27

bill, push pins, the colored plastic ones, also work for holding the cork down while gluing to the foam board.  T pins work too, but are really too long for what you need.  I have had no problems using them (push pins) or white glue (generic from a place like a Dollar Store).   Just in case the top of the push pins breaks an wants to go through my thumb, I push them in holding the bottom portion of the plastic.  (I feel like I said this, just recently somewhere....)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Len;
I do not use foam as the top-I have another approach I had decided to try.  I use 1/4" underlayment hardwood ply.  I use this for a couple of reasons; first it is easier to install tortoise machines under, as well as any other type of control system, such as mechanical (hand).  Also, when I glue down the cork, as I said, I use a piece of extruded aluminum that, once I glue the cork down, I lay this atop the cork, and run screws through it-lightly- to the ply.  This keeps the track plumb and flush.  So far, so good; no wiggle-wobble-waddle.
RIch C. 

Len

Rich - Ok, that makes sense. My response was to the OP's question about fastening cork to foam.

Len

electrical whiz kid

Wayne,
I use the ply atop the styrofoam.  I like the carving qualities of the foam as per terrain.  It does minimize the hassle with plaster, etc.  To me, this is good for the variations in-say-foundation exposure. This is a nice touch to a building and a lot of guys have done it. 
I have found that just cork atop foam is good as well.  Same procedure:  that blue adhesive (non-solvent) and cork.  Make sure these new guys don't attempt this with that bead board.  Styro is much better, as you probably know.

Rich C.