News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The new retooled American 4-4-0

Started by groovy, January 07, 2016, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groovy

Has anyone have any reviews of the new 4-4-0 American,i think Bachmann did a nice upgrade on the loco,i would like to hear how others think of the improvements.

billgiannelli

did you buy one?
I was interested in that loco also. how is it?
Thanks
Bill

groovy

To billgiannelli :Yes i received one from Mrs Santa,a American 4-4-0 #51003"Jupiter" dc ready.I had a extra TSU-750 Micro-Tsunami #826001 decoder and a soundtraxx 15mm x 4mm round speaker #810089 I installed it as a test.The loco has a 8 pin plug, so it was a plug and play install,the loco runs very well, it just has a little wobble but i think that it gives it a little character for a 1800's loco.as of now i think i'll keep this decoder in the loco.I went on Google and the only thing i can find was mostly other types of 4-4-0's,It's a new loco so it will take some time for info and reviews. 

Hunt

Has anyone seen any of the retooled HO American 4-4-0 locomotives run without a wobble?

brokenrail

If it wobbles what seems to be the problem???This is a indication of a not so straight wheel axle mesh,or a loose or uneven drive axle bearing ,out of round drive wheel,or the side rods binding, being to tight. or a little out of quarter ,Or if it has a traction tire.It is out of round or not properly seated in it's groove.I was interested in  these ,but after hearing this, it reminds me of a few old Tyco's that come to mind .If you do not find the problem most times it will find itself when a wheel falls off the drive axle or something like that.A true sign .It is not right at all.Has it been dropped?
Johnny

groovy

I found out why the loco had a slight wobble,because it picked up a very small granule of ballast from the roadbed of the track, most likely from my finger, and it stuck to the rear driver wheel of the loco, no more wobble.the loco is running as good as it should. 

brokenrail

Perfect.That will do it.Glad it is all good for you.Does it have any weight to it ? Die cast boiler or something that will make it pull a few ,or traction tires?
Johnny

vaderdentist

Will we be able to buy a W&ARR General in the new tooling?  That Texas just screams for it's counterpart locomotive.   :) 

J3a-614

Quote from: vaderdentist on January 10, 2016, 11:04:14 PM
Will we be able to buy a W&ARR General in the new tooling?  That Texas just screams for it's counterpart locomotive.   :) 

What's really ironic in the "Texas" model is that it is a VERY accurate rendition of a Virginia & Truckee engine (which is the real prototype for the Bachman engine) as it was lettered for use in the film "The Great Locomotive Chase," a Disney film from about 1955 or so!

I wonder if Bachmann might eventually offer these 4-4-0s as the V&T engines they are really based on?

brokenrail

Maybe undercoated would make a great release with some tender and detail options for this one .Then you can make what you want.

J3a-614

Quote from: brokenrail on January 11, 2016, 11:10:25 AM
Maybe undercoated would make a great release with some tender and detail options for this one .Then you can make what you want.

The undecorated option would be great (and I would appreciate painting an engine in the colors of the 19th century), but where would you get decals?  Champ's been gone for years, Walthers quit even sooner, and I'm not entirely impressed with Microscale.  

And nobody, not any large firm I know of anyway (and not the classic firms mentioned above), makes or made19th century stuff, at least not for locomotives.

Hunt

Local model trains store ran on their test track and observed wobble in six out of six sound value equipped new retooled American 4-4-0. Today, I was in the store and one randomly picked locomotive was run and I observed wobble. No attempt was made to determine reason for the wobble.

Goldenageofrailroading

I bought the Golden Spike set from Micro-Mark and the Jupiter runs very good although with a slight wobble. I can live with it as it otherwise runs great. I only run it at low speeds in which the wobble isn't so noticable.
The other loco the No119 does run good but not great but with excessive gear noise and a pronounced wobble. At speed the front moves up and down excessively. I have contacted Micro-Mark to see if I can return and change this particular loco.

If it wasn't for the wobble I would love these new models. My Jupiter creeps along at low speeds and runs very smoothly.

brokenrail

Humm, May be time to hire a mechanic for these .I doubt if that wobble would be acceptable to that mechanics boss that put his name on those wobbling locos in the shop when they were made.They dont last long built broken, and do not fix themselves.How is that wobble at 25 mph .That would be wide open throttle for one of those. Wouldn't it? ;D
Johnny

James in FL

Several at the local club house, (http://www.suncoastmrrc.com/), have this lokie.
All are wobblers somewhere throughout their speed range.
In N scale we call them ducks (waddlers).
I did not have the opportunity to examine any of them to determine if it's a quartering issue, or excessive slop in the drive, or something else (something on one or more drivers, gear mesh, backlash, and etc.etc.).
Quite possibly, it could be the lokie is "hunting" for the center between the rails, due to under gauged wheels, and "bouncing" back and forth, from one rail to the other, to find it.

I would opine, once the root cause is established, a solution can be implemented.

Anyone examined one enough to establish the root cause of the waddle?
Troubleshooting 101.

We can be reactive or proactive, choose which side of the fence you are on.

If one truly seeks help with this, some will offer advice.
If one just wants to ***ch about it, the thread will die, or Yardy will delete it.