News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The new retooled American 4-4-0

Started by groovy, January 07, 2016, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenrail

I would just ask Bachmann .If so many have this wobble problem.Is this the old version with the drive shaft that is in the tender powered or the new release?I cannot comprehend how this could happen with Quality Control at it's finest with all the automation involved in production these days.My old Tycos are starting to look better now.

Check the play in the drivers to see if there is movement for and aft .If there is then stop looking.You need a non slop even fit between the driver axles and the frame casting with some kind of bearing or shim spacer to hold all that true without any movement ,but the axles to spin free like they would with no gears on them in a bearing of some kind.If there is a bearing, and they have that much movement.See where it is.In the axle to the bearing ,or the bearing to its retainer weather it be the frame or something else and make it slop free and even with the other drivers.This should not have to be done on a new mechanism.This area should be correct unless again you support Tyco standards. Worn out mechs usually get this way over a long time.Maybe too just a bad traction tire or piece of dirt.
Johnny Adam

Bachmann Industries, Inc.

Here are links to videos of the Jupiter and Union Pacific 119 straight out of the box. They seem fine to us.
If anyone out there has any problems with one of these locomotives they can contact our service department who will be happy to take care of any problems.

https://youtu.be/Mkl-tUmXmZY
https://youtu.be/nx9a142iigY

jbrock27

Quote from: brokenrail on January 11, 2016, 09:46:28 PM
My old Tycos are starting to look better now.
Johnny Adam

I can not comprehend any scenario in which that would happen...
Keep Calm and Carry On

vaderdentist

Both my Jupiter and 119 run perfectly right out of the package.  No issues.  Run very well at super low speeds.  No complaints.  :)

Does anyone know if the on board sound system can be modified with different whistle sounds etc???  If so how do I go about doing that?

Dave 

Bucksco

Trainman203

And which Soundtraxx whistles are they?

Bucksco

Not sure exactly which types but you can use values 1-3 to check them out.

Hunt

Quote from: Yardmaster on January 17, 2016, 11:09:44 AM
Not sure exactly which types but you can use values 1-3 to check them out.

The Sound Value decoder valid values for CV 115 Whistle Selection are 0, 1, and 2. The default value is 0.

Bucksco

Hunt

Quote from: Yardmaster on January 17, 2016, 11:43:25 AM
It comes set to "1"

Yardmaster verify and clarify – 
Out of the box CV 115 = 1; however, the decoder default for CV 115 =  0?

Or is the decoder default CV 115 = 1? Which would be the first for a Bachmann Sound Value decoder.

Bucksco

Default value is 1(as stated)....
CV default sheets will be posted to the website early this week.

Bachmann HO Scale 4-4-0 Sound Value™ Equipped
   Whistle Selections:
      Tweetsie       0
      Southern Single Chime       1
      Lunkenheimer 3 Chime      2

Exhaust Chuff:  Light Steam
   Air Compressor:  Single Phase (muted per prototype)

Configuration Variable Defaults

CV #   Description    Default value
1    Primary Address   3
2   V Start    0
3      Baseline Acceleration Rate    6
4   Baseline Deceleration Rate    5
5   V Max   0
6   V Mid   0
7   Manufacturer Version ID    Read Only (82)
8    Manufacturer ID   141
10   BEMF Cutout   0
11   Packet Time-Out Value    0
12   Power Source Conversion    1
13   Analog Mode Function (F1-F8)   0
14    Analog Mode Function (F0, F9-F12)   3
15    CV Unlock Code   0
16    CV Lock Code    0
17   Extended Address    192
18   Extended Address    3
19   Consist Address    0
21   Consist Function (F1-F8)   0
22   Consist Function (F0, F9-F12)   0
23    Consist Acceleration Rate    0
24   Consist Deceleration Rate   0
25    Speed Table Selection   0
29   Configuration Register 1   6
30   Alternate Mode Selection   0
33   F0(f) Output Location   1
34   F0(r) Output Location   1
35   F1 Output Location    8
36   F2 Output Location   4
37   F3 Output Location   16
38   F4 Output Location   32
39   F5 Output Location   0
40   F6 Output Location   0
41    F7 Output Location   16
42    F8 Output Location   32
49   Hyperlight Effects   129
50    Hyperlight Effects   0
59   Flash Rate   4
60   Grade-Crossing Hold Time   4
63   Analog Mode Motor Start Voltage   25
64   Analog Mode Max. Motor Voltage   180
66   Forward Trim   128
67-94   Speed Table   Varies
95    Reverse Trim   128
105   User Identifier #1   ---
106   User Identifier #2   ---
114   Bell Ring Rate   7
115   Whistle Selection   1
116   BEMF Auto Chuff Rate   92
128   Master Volume Control   125
129   Whistle Volume Control   150
130   Bell Volume Control   125
131   Exhaust Volume Control   96
132   Air Compressor Volume   0
193   Automatic Bell ON Set Point   5
194   Automatic Bell OFF Set Point   12
195   Grade-Crossing Whistle Sensitivity   4
197   Analog Mode Auto. Sound Config.   6
198   DCC Mode Auto. Sound Config.   0
209   Kp Coefficient   20
210   Ki Coefficient   40
212   Motor Control Intensity   255
213   Motor Control Sample Period   8
214   Motor Control Aperture Time   8
216    BEMF Reference Voltage    140

brokenrail

Thumbs up for the list.Admire the effort.A friend of mine had a store with a diorama with the 2 locomotives displayed during the golden spike ceremony in Painted brass.They looked like they had to be G scale.It was under a clear acrylic dome style display hood. They were pieces of art with sync sound and yes smoke.Did not know there make ,but when he was closing his doors for good there was a 5K price tag on them .His store was small ,but only sold trains of all scales and had a coffee bar set up where you could read your newspaper and or any old model railroad magazine /catalogs dated back to the 50's and run trains,buy and sell also.Sad day when he closed his doors.
Johnny Adam

Texianbear54

First, "Maybe undecorated would make a great release with some tender and detail options for this one .Then you can make what you want."

Amen!  

Second, I have new "Texas," and while it does not wobble, it does have a definite repetitive gear noise and jerky motion, but only in forward.  As I was running it to break it in this seems to be getting worse, so I am about ready to return it and try a second chance.  Can the Bach Man (or anyone with a similar experience) tell me if lubrication would be helpful?

Thanks!

pz324

I recently purchased the UP DCC version and it doesn't seem to go very fast.  I have a Digitrax DCS51 and other engines increase power with no problem.  The 4-4-0 won't increase speed above 3.  I've contacted Bachmann to see if I need to change a CV, but they were really no help.  Is this normal for this engine, or should I send it back?  By the way, I too am experiencing a little wobble.

Thanks for your help!

NYSW3614

Except for the improvement of the drive and the wheels, Bachmann missed a good opportunity to have a more accurate model of the UP 119.  The cab is much too light, what looks to be a Russian Iron boiler jacket should be gloss black, and the tender load should be coal.

Jupiter- a repaint of the jacket from silver to black would have been great and the tender trucks should be blue.  The tender trucks for both could have been improved as well.

Joshua