News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Layout, Help Wanted

Started by GovB, January 08, 2016, 03:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

Not sure if I'm in the right Board but, I want to make a folding 8X8 layout in the garage out of two 4X8 sheets of plywood. For my large scale trains, the heaviest being a BACH YP&U #81296 2-8-0. What would be the min. spec. for board thickness and framing assuming it will be hinged in the middle for upright storage? If you know of a "www" where I could find help that would be good too.

??? Thanks, GovB, "Happy Rails to You"
Happy Rails to You, GovB

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi GovB,

I use 5/8 USB board on my indoor layout supported by 1x4 framing.  If your garage is damp you might want to use regular plywood instead.  I used 2 foot centers, but my layout is not portable or foldup, so in your case I would probably keep the 1x4 framing on 16 inch centers instead.

You could check out the following link, and ask questions there as well!:
http://forums.mylargescale.com/13-indoor-railways/

Have fun and run that 2-8-0!!!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

I don't recognize a YP&U locomotive.  Could it be a White Pass and Yukon engine?

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Yup!!

81296   WP&Y   7   2001   ~ Loco   2-8-0, White Pass & Yukon   P         Spectrum

I saw the error but did not say anything in my reply.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

GovB

Thanks Chuch & Bill.

You just can't drink and type too. Yes, It should be WP&Y RR. The eyes go first then... I can't remember the other. ???
Bill your ideas are great. Never made a layout before unless you count Christmas.  The web site gave me problems registering. Just kept going round & round. But, Success! I'm in.  :D

Thanks Bunches, GovB
"Happy Rails to You"
Happy Rails to You, GovB