Can an engine's bent axle shaft be repaired?

Started by grmajulie, January 09, 2016, 01:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grmajulie

We just bought a used Thomas Kinkade  Christmas Express set and we have discovered that  the axle of 3rd wheel on the right side of the engine is bent. My husband says he can remove the 5 screws and take the bottom plate off, but he wonders if the axle will just break when he tries to straighten it? He repairs band instruments and is quite talented at fixing things. Is it worth the effort or should we try to get our money back?

rogertra

Quote from: grmajulie on January 09, 2016, 01:37:43 AM
We just bought a used Thomas Kinkade  Christmas Express set and we have discovered that  the axle of 3rd wheel on the right side of the engine is bent. My husband says he can remove the 5 screws and take the bottom plate off, but he wonders if the axle will just break when he tries to straighten it? He repairs band instruments and is quite talented at fixing things. Is it worth the effort or should we try to get our money back?

1)  If this is a Thomas question, it will probably be moved to the Thomas section.

2)  If this was a brand new engine, and you have the receipt, send it back to Bachmann for a free warranty repair.

Cheers

Roger T.

willis

hi Julie, if this is the 2-6-0 engine and passenger car On30 set, the whole wheel set is listed in the parts section on this site.
go to parts , service & information, click on parts, look for On30 2-6-0, scroll down to wheel sets.
if the axel breaks trying to bend it back.
Willis.

jbrock27

Quote from: rogertra on January 09, 2016, 03:00:45 AM
2)  If this was a brand new engine...

Cheers

Roger T.

...but it's not...

Quote from: grmajulie on January 09, 2016, 01:37:43 AM
We just bought a used Thomas Kinkade  Christmas Express set...

...so why bother mentioning that ???

GrandmaJulie, have you tried going back to (contacting) the party you purchased it from?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Short answer, no. Even if the axle doesn't break, it will never be completely straight again.

If this is the Hawthorne Village "Thomas Kinkade Christmas Express", like Willis said, it's the On30 loco made by Bachmann with a custom paint scheme.

So replacement wheelsets are available, shown at the bottom of the listing here:
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_71_76

Some paintiing may be required if you want an exact color match to the Hawthorne Village colors, if the cycliners aren't black or green. But it's not necessary from an operational point of view. Note the middle set of wheels have black cyclinders with white "side walls" on the wheels.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Apologies.  Didn't see the "used".  D'oh!

Others have given you good advice.

Cheers.

Roger T.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

grmajulie

:D Thank you everyone for you suggestions. My husbands saids he is going to try first to straighten it enough to get it to stay on the track.If that fails, we will consider options for replacing wheels  or drive shaft. Thanks again everyone. Any suggestions on how to design a structure to hold the engine while working on it?

Len

Shoe box with a folded up towel drapped across it to make a "cradle" works for me.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Contact Bachmann repairs.

It may not be that expensive and easier for you if you are not used to repairing model locomotives.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Quote from: grmajulie on January 11, 2016, 02:54:43 PM
Any suggestions on how to design a structure to hold the engine while working on it?

I like the Bowser made foam cradle, available through AMAZON.  I bought it because I know I will not be working on one loco one time and one time only.

Quote from: rogertra on January 11, 2016, 07:12:52 PM
Contact Bachmann repairs.

It may not be that expensive and easier for you if you are not used to repairing model locomotives.

Cheers

Roger T.

I am in agreement with this.  I think no matter how much effort is put into it, it will be impossible to get it straight enough that the axle will not be creating some wobble.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Grandmajulie, I am guessing since you are going forward with trying to repair this yourselves, that you had no luck going back to the party you purchased this set from?
Keep Calm and Carry On