News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dremel Tool

Started by Penn1974, January 14, 2016, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn1974

I am looking to purchase a new Dremel tool and kit and was wondering what people are using now for HO? Better to go with corded or battery and what attachments that I should make sure I have. My old cord model has died.

WoundedBear

My Dremel choice has always been the corded models. Cordless always seem to need recharging just when the going gets tough. The corded models don't have the stalling problem that cordless ones do in heavy work.

At present I have a couple of the model 3000. I keep one in the model studio and one in the garage. Best deal around here is at Canadian Tire..........comes in a fairly complete little kit.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dremel-3000-1-24-variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-0541291p.html#.Vpg90nnMumQ

Sid

jbrock27

I love my corded model.  200 Series.  Comes w/several attachments.  Also can be used for drilling.  Both Wal-Fart and Home Depot sell other attachments and replacement items like commonly used cut off discs.  Make sure you have and wear eye protection when you use the Dremel.
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

Penn you might check the brushes on you tool.  How ever you will find the the newer tool to be much better.         

jbrock27

Quote from: RAM on January 14, 2016, 09:36:14 PM
check the brushes

Do you get to those through the 2 blue (on mine anyway) plastic caps on either side of the tool?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Here is what I use - a flex shaft moto-tool. Dremel makes a flex shaft for their hand held tool as well but I like the dedicated flex shaft set up better.
http://www.micromark.com/microlux-flex-shaft-machine,10734.html

jbrock27

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 14, 2016, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: RAM on January 14, 2016, 09:36:14 PM
check the brushes

Do you get to those through the 2 blue (on mine anyway) plastic caps on either side of the tool?

Hello RAM anybody home?
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

I think so.  My tools are so old that they don't have any blue on them.  Like the old model T.  You can have any color you want as long as it is black.

Ken G Price

Quote from: Yardmaster on January 15, 2016, 10:17:34 AM
Here is what I use - a flex shaft moto-tool. Dremel makes a flex shaft for their hand held tool as well but I like the dedicated flex shaft set up better.

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-flex-shaft-machine,10734.html

I agree on the flex shaft. It lets you get into tighter spaces and cleaner track cuts without the tool body in the way.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: Ken G Price on January 16, 2016, 06:50:17 PM
I agree on the flex shaft. It lets you get into tighter spaces and cleaner track cuts without the tool body in the way.

If the only goal of using the tool is to make track cuts, why not just buy and use a Razor Saw?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

The razor saw is one of the ways to cut track but there are heavy duty track cutting pliers.   Since  I have all of the above discussed  tools available to use , it gets down to  how many cuts I have to make in what amount of time . Regarding the Dremel Tool it was suggested that it was faster & safer to use the diamond disks to cut track  rather  than the abrasive disks . John2.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on January 17, 2016, 09:03:50 AM
...there are heavy duty track cutting pliers.  John2.

Thanks, yes, I know, I have a pair of Xuron Rail Cutters.

Have a pic of the 2 types of discs you mention?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Ken G Price

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 17, 2016, 07:49:29 AM
Quote from: Ken G Price on January 16, 2016, 06:50:17 PM

If the only goal of using the tool is to make track cuts, why not just buy and use a Razor Saw?
Trying to keep the track from flexing with a razor saw is a real pain.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

James in FL

If you're buying the Dremel/moto-tool for strictly hobby use, save your money and buy a pair of Xuron rail cutters instead.
Much cleaner (no dust) and by the time you get out the Dremel find the wheel you want to use, and then chuck it in the collet, you could have been long done with the job using the Xuron rail cutters.
Whatever you use to cut your track, cuts will need a light dressing with a needle file anyway.
The only time I found the Dremel better than the razor saw, or Xurons, is when absolutely necessary to cut a gap in track already fixed in place.
The flex shaft allows for 90° cut.
I too, bought a Dremel tool with the flex shaft, about 10 years ago, thinking it would be the cat's meow for the hobby.
To be honest, I have used it maybe a dozen times in that time, for something hobby related, mostly for grinding on locomotive frames.
I do like it for grinding with burr bits.
For the hundred or so I spent on it, the money could have been better used elsewhere.
The Dremel is much better utilized for sharpening lawnmower blades.
When I'm using small drill bits, or taps, I prefer a pin vise instead.

QuoteTrying to keep the track from flexing with a razor saw is a real pain.

Never had a problem with the track flexing using the razor saw, a mini-miter box prevents this.

QuoteDo you get to those through the 2 blue (on mine anyway) plastic caps on either side of the tool?

@ Jim, Yes, they are under those blue caps on either side. Some models have the brushes in the horizontal, some in the vertical. Some caps are gray or black. Lot's on youtube about brush replacement.