News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Acquisitions

Started by Titanic5972, January 14, 2016, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoNTrains

This evening, my family and I celebrated my 22nd birthday (my actual birthday is November 2nd), and two of my gifts were Bachmann Oliver and the new salt wagon. Oliver runs very well, and I'm glad to finally have a salt wagon in my collection. :) All in all, it was a great birthday, and both these Bachmann Thomas and Friends items are great!

Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

Falcon

Excellent gift! I myself hope I can get Oliver for my next birthday too.  :)

Chaz

Well I finally got around to picking up some paint and a face on Shapeways and I have a new face on my Bachmann Diesel.

It's not perfect but I'm fairly satisfied with it being my first attempt at a face.  Might redo it at some point but otherwise I'm content with it for now.  It definitely suits the devious personality more a lot more than Bachmann's did, even if it was based on the CG face it never quite did it for me.  

While I'm at it I'll show some paint revisions I did on a couple of models, at least the ones I've never seen in the fandom.  I'll start with Toad:

While Toad's CG era face never bothered me all that much the silver buffers did.  The silver paint literally looks like Bachmann splashed it on Toad last second in production so it already looked a little off.  Literally four dots of paint was all it took for me to fix this problem.  

And now for Duck:

Easily one of the best models in the range, but the one problem I had with the model was the buffer housing being black when they should be red like the bufferbeam.  Like Toad, this was an easy fix and I'm amazed I've never seen anyone take on fixing this error in the fandom, at least to my knowledge that is.  Either way that was an odd fault on the model, even the James model got that one right.

Speaking of James, currently also in the process of updating James and other models in the process as well, since I don't feel like wasting my money on buying the same model again only to have most of the paint errors fixed.  It's honestly much easier doing it this way and saves and money, which is a little hard to argue with.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

did you take some sandpaper to diesel's face before painting? looks a little bumpy..
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Griffin on December 10, 2017, 04:28:14 PM
did you take some sandpaper to diesel's face before painting? looks a little bumpy..

I think he clearly mentioned it wasn't perfect, but he was satisfied with it.  Also considering the fact it was his first attempt at this sort of thing, one would consider it to be more or less a practice run.  Modeling is in no way something people get 100% right the first time.  Like anything, you get better with practice and overtime obtain a better style and skill for the hobby.  If you could see one of the first train cars I ever painted, it's a complete joke compared to the projects I take on these days.  As I said before, it's a learning experience and like a fine wine it get's better with time.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chaz

Pretty much.  It's going to be a temporary face, only reason why the face looks a little "bumpy" might have to do with the fact that I don't own an airbrush... probably won't be able to get one until next year and that will be when I attempt a new face.  This is more or less practice with my painting and a temporary replacement of the CG face on my Bachmann Diesel.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

I was really just asking, wasn't meant to be mean at all. It looks good aside from that, especially for a first attempt. Better than anything I could do
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

TerencetheTractor525

Nice work Chaz! I especially like the new face on Diesel as it really brings out his devious personality.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Angelob6660

Hey Chaz,

What's your preparation of taking off faces? Would the same technique on freight cars.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

It was a matter of using a thin hobby knife and popping the faces right off the model.  Should be no different with freight cars too.

BassTbone

Got an OO9 layout going again and got some rolling stock.

I like the Bachmann slate trucks better.  They are bang-on to the Talyllyn ones.  I enjoy building the kits, but it is nice to have some that are weighted and look good.  Looking forward to Rusty (& hopefully Peter Sam)

PasqualeCS96

A bit of an off topic question but who here has the resin storage shed on their layout? I am considering acquiring it for a farm area I'm planning to build up on my layout.

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 20, 2017, 08:27:34 AM
A bit of an off topic question but who here has the resin storage shed on their layout? I am considering acquiring it for a farm area I'm planning to build up on my layout.

I own it. It is a very detailed model and would look great on any layout, especially in a farm scene. The only thing that I am still trying to figure out is if was seen at all in the television series.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on December 20, 2017, 10:54:28 AM
Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 20, 2017, 08:27:34 AM

I own it. It is a very detailed model and would look great on any layout, especially in a farm scene. The only thing that I am still trying to figure out is if was seen at all in the television series.

Thank you very much! Would you be willing to post a picture of yours on your layout?

Angelob6660

Bass Tbone,

That's a good picture.

Chaz thanks for the info.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden