Main Menu

New Acquisitions

Started by Titanic5972, January 14, 2016, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 20, 2017, 12:40:41 PM
Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on December 20, 2017, 10:54:28 AM
Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 20, 2017, 08:27:34 AM
A bit of an off topic question but who here has the resin storage shed on their layout? I am considering acquiring it for a farm area I'm planning to build up on my layout.

I own it. It is a very detailed model and would look great on any layout, especially in a farm scene. The only thing that I am still trying to figure out is if was seen at all in the television series.

Thank you very much! Would you be willing to post a picture of yours on your layout?

You're welcome! Here is a link to a photo of it on my Instagram account...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc8xKWnFZB1/?taken-by=terencethetractor525

Hopefully, in the future, I will be posting pictures by using Flickr or Photobucket.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXg_4_RlKH1/

Terence, I love how you did this mountain, it really gives season 4 vibes to it - well done!  Glad to see you updated Duck similar to how I did too.  I was actually thinking of painting the roofs on my red coaches white similar to how you did yours.  What paint did you use?
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Chaz on December 20, 2017, 11:33:37 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXg_4_RlKH1/

Terence, I love how you did this mountain, it really gives season 4 vibes to it - well done!  Glad to see you updated Duck similar to how I did too.  I was actually thinking of painting the roofs on my red coaches white similar to how you did yours.  What paint did you use?

Thank you so much Chaz! I am glad that mountain gives a season 4 impression as that was my aim when making it. Additionally, I am working on other narrow gauge scenes on my layout at the moment such as Glennock Station, Rheneas Tunnel, and the Old Wooden Bridge from the episode Trusty Rusty. Perhaps I will post more updates in the Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread.

Regarding Duck, I am certainly glad about that too! That one paint fix makes a big difference.

For the red coaches, I just used kilz latex paint. Two coats of that will definitely be needed though.

Anyways, thank you again Chaz!

PasqualeCS96

Terence, you without a doubt have the BEST layout I've ever seen!

One more question regarding the storage shed, would it be large enough enough to store an ERTL model of Trevor or George in?

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 21, 2017, 08:39:41 PM

One more question regarding the storage shed, would it be large enough enough to store an ERTL model of Trevor or George in?

Thank you very much! Regarding the storage shed, the ERTL George does not fit. However, there is room for the ERTL Trevor in the stone area of the storage shed (with the exception of the funnel). However, the storage shed must be placed on top of cork roadbed or cardboard since the ERTL model barely fits (due to the flywheel). Either way, I would still recommend that you purchase it. You will not be disappointed with the quality one bit.

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on December 22, 2017, 02:28:52 PM
Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 21, 2017, 08:39:41 PM

Thank you very much! Regarding the storage shed, the ERTL George does not fit. However, there is room for the ERTL Trevor in the stone area of the storage shed (with the exception of the funnel). However, the storage shed must be placed on top of cork roadbed or cardboard since the ERTL model barely fits (due to the flywheel). Either way, I would still recommend that you purchase it. You will not be disappointed with the quality one bit.

Thank you very much for your help!

Plow_Bender

Considering you guys are talking about the Bachmann storage shed, now seems like the perfect opportunity to show you a project I did 2 years ago.  This was actually a project I did for a 1:64 scale display table I was building, so it's not something really model train related, but I think it's appropriate to post anyways.

So when I was building my display I wanted to incorporate some storage sheds into it and looked into purchasing the Bachmann storage shed.  The only problem here was that the dimensions were too small to accommodate 1:64 scale vehicles.  That being the case, I took the time to scale the shed up to what it would be in real life, then scaled it down to the size it would be in 1:64 scale.  To build the shed, I designed it on the computer and then transferred the measurements onto a sheet of hardboard which is what I make most of my buildings out of.  The pieces were then cut to size and glued together with wood glue, then the shed was painted to almost match the Bachmann one.  The only real difference with my shed (other than the size) is that it's made to look like its built from cinder blocks rather than stone.  I still need to finish building the roof for it, but overall I think it turned out good.

My shed measures 3 1/2" x 7", and does fit many ERTL characters, but even being a little bit taller than the Bachmann one, ERTL George still doesn't clear the beam as you can see.  Smaller ones however such as Trevor, Elizabeth, Terrence, etc fit with no trouble.  This shed is in no way a major step for me as I've built larger buildings such as my 14 1/2" x 20" tow company building which also includes an office area and working shop crane.  That's getting a bit off topic though.

Personally I like the Bachmann storage shed which is part of why I attempted to replicate it in 1:64 scale.  Although I don't own the Bachmann one itself, I do agree with Mr. TerrencetheTractor525 that it's definitely worth getting.  In that case that you want something a little larger though that can accomidate your ERTLs, then building one is definitely the next best thing.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

PasqualeCS96

That's a very nice shed! I wish I had the skills to create something like that. I do agree I think the storage shed will be worth getting.

Just to clarify an ERTL Trevor will fit with the exception of the funnel and not George? Sorry for all the questions!

DinoNTrains

Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas eve! My family and I opened up some presents today, and here are some of the amazing gifts I got.

Bachmann Green Mail Car and Refrigerator Car

There are great models, and work really well as Flying Kipper vans.

Two Bachmann Branchline Class 42 Warship Diesels

Again, these are awesome. One of them, I plan to keep as is (so I can have a cool British engine on my layout), and the other I plan to make into Diesel 10 (and just as a heads up, I don't plan to shorten the body of the one I plan to make into Diesel 10 because I like the longer body of the Warship prototype)

Anyway, I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday season, and have a great time. :)
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 23, 2017, 05:13:03 PM
That's a very nice shed! I wish I had the skills to create something like that. I do agree I think the storage shed will be worth getting.

Just to clarify an ERTL Trevor will fit with the exception of the funnel and not George? Sorry for all the questions!

Sorry for the late reply. Anyways, yes. George will not fit. However, the ERTL Trevor will fit as long as you place the storage shed on top of cork roadbed. The flywheel is more of the issue than the funnel since I would not place the ERTL Trevor into the shed that far due to its length.

TerencetheTractor525

Hey again guys! I thought that now would be a good time for me to share with you what I got for Christmas regarding Bachmann Thomas & Friends.

One product I got is a new Bachmann Toby. My old model burned out many years ago, so it feels good to finally have a new model that runs. You may be able to see that I have started modifying it by painting the hook black and filing in the gap where the front coupling should be in order to make the model even more television series accurate  :).

Another item I got is Bachmann Rheneas. Rheneas is such a lovely little model. He was certainly worth the wait.

Also, when comparing his livery to Bachmann Terence, I noticed that Terence is a lighter shade. Because of this. I wonder if Rusty will be the same shade of orange as Terence.

The third product I got is Bachmann Rosie. Even though there was a lot of controversy with Rosie, the model is very nice. Well crafted and ran smoothly straight out of the box. I also got very lucky as model did not come with wonky eyes.

However, favorite part of the model is the open cab. There is even a molded firebox, just like Rheneas.

The final product that I got is the Resin Engine Shed. This has to be my favorite out of all four products. There is just something so charming about these resin buildings. At the moment, I'm using it as a shed for road vehicles, since I don't currently have anywhere else to put it on my layout. However, at some point in the future, I would like to recreate Boulder Quarry from Season 5, which includes two of these sheds as well as the narrow gauge double engine shed that was mentioned in previous discussions.

Overall, I am very thankful for everything that I got for Christmas this year. Merry Belated Christmas everyone!  

Kemptown Branch

I also got Rheneas for Christmas, as well as the two numbered slate wagons. They are my first narrow gauge products and I think they certainly do have a higher quality than the standard HO scale models.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on December 27, 2017, 01:11:28 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Anyways, yes. George will not fit. However, the ERTL Trevor will fit as long as you place the storage shed on top of cork roadbed. The flywheel is more of the issue than the funnel since I would not place the ERTL Trevor into the shed that far due to its length.
Thank you very much for your help! Received mine today and it looks great!

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 31, 2017, 04:55:52 PM
Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on December 27, 2017, 01:11:28 PM

Thank you very much for your help! Received mine today and it looks great!

You're most certainly welcome. I'm glad that you like the model  :).

Chaz

Been a while since I posted any updates so here are some news on my end with acquisitions and revisions:

Got the roofs on my red coaches painted red and also painted my brake vans.  I thought about selling my brake vans for Thomas ones originally but I didn't think it was worth the hassle and I thought these would be a good "first attempt" with painting before getting into any bigger projects.  Plus I got a new Bachmann SR brake van from a friend for Christmas so can't complain there either.  So now I have four brake vans, plus Toad so I have more than enough brake vans.  If we get the Spiteful brake van in HO this year I'll probably just get one and leave it at that.

Another new addition is the Hornby Oliver.  It was crazy expensive but I had this model at one point and sold my older one right when Bachmann announced their Oliver, and I was able to get it back for roughly the same price I sold my older model for.  While I liked the Bachmann model at first I found myself missing the Hornby one a lot more and it made me appreciate the Bachmann model a lot less so I ended up selling that model on eBay along with a few others to downsize my collection slightly.  I'm also looking into getting Stepney at some point too, since there isn't much of a chance of him being made by Bachmann at this point but I would have to make revisions on the model too, but once I find one I will share updates from there.

Also managed to get the Peco tippers for my narrow gauge collection.  Wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann announced some for their narrow gauge range and had them based on Talyllyn ones. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.