News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Acquisitions

Started by Titanic5972, January 14, 2016, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Rather than posting in the ventilated van thread, I figured it would make more sense for me to post my thoughts on the Great Western van on here.  I managed to pick one up while I was out of town for less than 20 dollars (a little hard to argue with, really).  So I picked one up, and I figured I would share my thoughts on it.  

To be honest, there really isn't much to say about this particular piece of rolling stock without talking about a lot of the other rolling stock additions Bachmann has done in recent years first.  Ever since the green mail car got announced in 2015 alongside Oliver and Toad, it became more clear to me that Bachmann has been taking advice from Mattel regarding further rolling stock possibilities where instead of relying solely what's seen on the show, they have branched out further beyond that category for other ideas.  Examples of this include rolling stock used in other toy ranges previously (the chocolate syrup tank, green mail car, live lobsters), while others have used companies that were never "canon" in the show or merchandise like "Sodor Salt", "Sodor Fruits and Vegetables Co." and "Sodor Diesel Co."  

Ever since they bumped up this new trend for rolling stock, I'll admit I haven't seen a lot of fans craving most of these new pieces of rolling stock, making me wonder if it is really worth Bachmann's time and money to invest in these new pieces of rolling stock.  Fans seemed to have their priorities more on what's been seen on the show rather than outside of of that area.  Examples of this include Toad, Troublesome Truck #5, the spiteful brake van, and even the water tanker (since that was a common piece of stock some fans speculated at time), seemed to attract more attention than these pieces of rolling stock.  Gordon's express coaches coming back will in no doubt get fans more excited than these recolors too.  If the sales and popularity are not there for these new gimmicks Bachmann is going for in terms of rolling stock, it really makes me wonder why Bachmann continues to do this.  Is it really worth the extra time and money repainting these pieces of rolling stock for something that honestly not that many people care about?  Was McColl's cattle wagon getting cancelled really just a blessing in disguise?

The only reason why I could kind of see where Bachmann is coming from with this is that Mattel probably wants them to add more pieces of rolling stock each year aside from the small handful that would be announced prior.  However, my argument for that is, at least back then, the rolling stock choices back then were more quality over quantity.  Sure they only announced one, maybe two pieces of stock back then such as the red coaches or the ice cream van, but these continue to sell because fans recognize these products from what they see on the show.

I know it sounds like I'm getting completely sidetracked, but now it's time to make this relevant in the case relevant to the great western van.  

Out of all these gimmicky pieces of rolling stock Bachmann has done in recent years that isn't relevant to what's on the show, I think that the great western van (both HO and large scale versions) are the best ones.  This is for two reasons.

One of them is that it gives fans arguably something that they would be more interested in which is a van with a nice brown livery that is accurate to what is on the show.  Something I'm amazed Bachmann didn't do in the first place with their first ventilated van model (which to be fair was a nice novelty piece of stock with the NWR blue livery and decals).  Regardless, I felt that this piece of rolling stock was something fans can appreciate if they wanted to go for something that's a little more "screen accurate".

The second reason is that instead of being based off a piece of merchandise or some gimmick Mattel made up, they instead based it off the Great Western Railway.  Granted, it's not in real GWR colors, but with GWR characters like Duck, Oliver, and Toad in the range, it's a nice acknowledgement, something I wouldn't expect Mattel to do with merchandising.  

That being said if I would make a change to the Great Western van itself, it would be to change the decals from Great Western, to North Western.  This would be more suitable for the Thomas range, especially for the brown livery on the van.  Granted the vans never had any decals like those on the show, and this is really a minor technicality than anything else, but if it really came down to adding any decal at all to the van, that's what I would have personally picked if it really came down to it.  

For what the Great Western van is though, instead of what it isn't, it's a pretty decent piece of rolling stock in the range.  Out of all the pieces of rolling stock that is technically not based off of anything on the show, (because of the Great Western decals), I think that the Great Western van is probably the best one in the range so far, it even triumphs over the Great Western cattle wagon too in my opinion and maybe I can talk about that at another time too.  

For now though while I'm happy with what I got out of the Great Western van, I'll now come back to my earlier question about the other pieces of rolling stock I brought up earlier.  

Is it really worth Bachmann's efforts to add more rolling stock to the range for the sake of adding more rolling stock?  Even if it's not screen accurate and maybe a little more "eye-catching" for kids, are they really going to bother with these pieces of rolling stock at the end of the day?  Is it really worth the extra money in production?  Are the minimal sales really worth it?  

Just something I wanted to put on the back-burner, but in the meantime hoping all is well on Bachmann's end with getting the new products out.  Looking forward to sharing my thoughts on either Paxton, Rusty, the spiteful brake van, and the narrow gauge coaches whenever they are released.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Rodimus Supreme

From the way I understand it, Bachmann has to make whatever Mattel tells them they have to make, no questions asked, no rebuttals. I have no idea why Mattel can tell Bachmann what to do, unless Mattel owns the license to electric Thomas and Friends models and Bachmann is hired to make them? Or something?

TerencetheTractor525

The subject of rolling stock is an interesting one, as it certainly clear that Bachmann's choices of rolling stock have changed drastically in the recent years. My thoughts are basically as follows:

If Bachmann is thinking of using existing toolings, then the most successful options would be Troublesome Truck #6 (specific ideas are posted here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34526.45.html), the Explosives Van, and reintroducing the Flat Car with Paint Drums (as well as the same flat car with other loads).

However, if Bachmann is thinking of going the extra mile with a new tooling, then I think that the Breakdown Train and Works Unit Coach would be the smartest investments. Both are unique pieces that the rolling stock range is missing. Moreover, both toolings could be used more than once (Judy and Jerome utilizing the same Breakdown Train tooling, and the Orange-Brown Works Unit Coach, and Dark Green Works Unit Coach utilizing the same tooling).

What's more, while looking carefully at this pic, it's fascinating to see the way in which the engines and rolling stock are set up, considering that Bachmann has made Thomas, Percy, Toby, and all of the rolling stock that is behind the three of them; but has not made Stepney or the rolling stock that is behind him, which turns out to be the Breakdown Train and Works Unit Coach. Perhaps Stepney, the Breakdown Train, and the Works Unit Coach are Bachmann's missing puzzle pieces  ;).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

Definitely agree there on the rolling stock suggestions as well as Stepney too.  The toolings for the breakdown train/Judy and Jerome would be pretty expensive but the sales for them would be strong and would be a good economical choice to make the original breakdown crane and Judy and Jerome.  The sales would definitely be there but sadly the pricing of them would be pretty high up.

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on May 05, 2018, 11:43:46 PM
From the way I understand it, Bachmann has to make whatever Mattel tells them they have to make, no questions asked, no rebuttals.

This has been a misconception I've seen on the forum before, which isn't entirely true.  Yes, Mattel's suggestions and input are big factors with what happens but Bachmann themselves would have a pretty high voice on what happens like if something is too expensive or out of their budget.  Rolling stock isn't that much more different, but the difference here is, at least from what I can tell, Mattel has taken the rolling stock choices along a different path and Bachmann seems to be "going along with it" since it doesn't really cost them anything to make these.  Again my argument is "Why bother?" when these have not been requested by fans and no one seems to be flocking over to them like other rolling stock choices in the past.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Chaz on May 06, 2018, 04:04:44 AM
Definitely agree there on the rolling stock suggestions as well as Stepney too.  The toolings for the breakdown train/Judy and Jerome would be pretty expensive but the sales for them would be strong and would be a good economical choice to make the original breakdown crane and Judy and Jerome.  The sales would definitely be there but sadly the pricing of them would be pretty high up.

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on May 05, 2018, 11:43:46 PM
From the way I understand it, Bachmann has to make whatever Mattel tells them they have to make, no questions asked, no rebuttals.

This has been a misconception I've seen on the forum before, which isn't entirely true.  Yes, Mattel's suggestions and input are big factors with what happens but Bachmann themselves would have a pretty high voice on what happens like if something is too expensive or out of their budget.  Rolling stock isn't that much more different, but the difference here is, at least from what I can tell, Mattel has taken the rolling stock choices along a different path and Bachmann seems to be "going along with it" since it doesn't really cost them anything to make these.  Again my argument is "Why bother?" when these have not been requested by fans and no one seems to be flocking over to them like other rolling stock choices in the past.

Would it be possible for Bachmann to takes parts of the Breakdown Train and use those to help make Rocky? I feel like they could do that and it would help with costs.

It would be nice if Bachmann could do what they want to do, but it seems as if they just let Mattel tell them what they can or can't make. It really doesn't make sense for them to make these pieces of rolling stock that no one is asking for instead of the one's people do want to see, as you've said Chaz. But that then makes me think that Bachmann is subject to Mattel's decisions and not their own moreso than we realize. I hope that's not the case, but what I've seen and heard seems to point to that conclusion for me.

Angelob6660

Bachmann could remake the old tar and oil tank cars. A nice repaint would a plain silver with no markings. Since the old cars are rare to find.

If the original break down train was to expensive to make with the including the matching green unit car. Why would Mattel or Bachmann decided to make a more expensive item like Rocky?  I like Rocky but I don't love him. I love the original break down train. Besides wouldn't you need two Rocky's to pick up locomotives like Gordon and Henry?

I didn't mind the Sodor name company cars. It made the island bigger or interesting freight cars off the island.  (Journey Beyond Sodor special)
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: angelob6660 on May 07, 2018, 05:56:25 PM
Bachmann could remake the old tar and oil tank cars. A nice repaint would a plain silver with no markings. Since the old cars are rare to find.

If the original break down train was to expensive to make with the including the matching green unit car. Why would Mattel or Bachmann decided to make a more expensive item like Rocky?  I like Rocky but I don't love him. I love the original break down train. Besides wouldn't you need two Rocky's to pick up locomotives like Gordon and Henry?

I didn't mind the Sodor name company cars. It made the island bigger or interesting freight cars off the island.  (Journey Beyond Sodor special)
Like I said, reusing parts for both instead of having two cranes with completely unique toolings between them would be more cost effective. I imagine Bachmann will end up getting around to these two pieces of rolling stock eventually. And I believe we've seen Rocky lift larger engines by himself before?

And yes, I would love plain silver tankers. Sometimes less is more, Bachmann.

Chaz

Been a while since I posted an update on my end in terms of new additions/projects.  Duncan has been put on hold for the time being since there are a few other things I am still waiting on.  While doing so, here is an update with my N scale collection:

I recently picked up some lima N gauge rolling stock.  Believe it or not, the engines and rolling stock produced by Lima are roughly about the same scale and size as the Tomix equipment.  I ordered a couple of vans and brake vans earlier.  Hoping to get around to painting these soon too to more Thomasish colors.  Same with some of their wagons.  In the meantime, I am happy enough to finally have some brake vans in N scale.

I also picked up a set of little mini figures from a book that came out in 2010 (the ones I got came from a lot on eBay). The little mini Bertie and Harold figures that come with it are pretty close and scale to the Tomix stuff as well so happy to have these as well.

And best for last... I managed to pick up another Henry earlier for a pretty fair price, and my plan is to use the motor and chassis from this model, as well as an extra set of wheels coming from another James (which I just ordered tonight), so I can finally get around to making Gordon in N scale!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/quot-scale-rail-quot-model-store
Currently waiting for the tender from this user who made Gordon, as well as a Tomix water tower, on his Shapeways store.  A friend of mine confirmed that more engines and stock will come soon, so I would keep your eyes on this page, if you are into N scale modeling and want more than what Tomix offered.

I also ordered a kato chassis, and I am planning on making some 3-D printed models myself. I am currently in the process of making Toby and Henrietta in N scale as well.

My plan is to only do engines 1-8 in N, since I am already invested more in HO and 009.  I am also going to add DCC to these models too, so I can run them at the local N scale club that supports only DCC.  For now though, I'm just going to focus on Gordon, Toby, and Henrietta first and then I will plan on starting my own 009 layout before worrying about other projects like Edward, Duck, and some more rolling stock.

Pretty happy overall with this small collection and happy with what's to come. :)

Angelob6660

Nice collection on your N Scale Thomas. It's nice that your invested in so much.

Enjoy repainting and modeling Gordon and Toby with Henrietta.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

TerencetheTractor525

This past weekend, I went to the Greenberg Train Show in Edison, New Jersey and picked up two new products from the Star Hobby vendor: Paxton and the Square Water Tower. Considering how impressed I am with these two models, I thought that I should spend the time to share my thoughts.

Starting off with Paxton, one of my favorite aspects of the model is the bronze side rods. They really blend in nicely with the shades of green and yellow that were used, which are spot on as well. What's more, I certainly agree with those who have stated that the model shines much more after seeing it in person. That goes for the face too. It is not perfect, but Bachmann still captured key parts such as the stubby nose. As a result, from working around the eye mechanism from an existing tooling, Bachmann did a good job.

Honestly, after seeing the Bachmann Paxton as well as seeing what characters will be getting leading roles in Season 22, I am actually more inclined to see Bachmann tackle Sidney at some point. His forgetful persona is an interesting one, and he would be the first loco with a dark blue color scheme. Moreover, I could see classic Thomas fans using him as a background diesel for scrap yards. However, even though the idea of a Bachmann Sidney has grown on me, I do still think that it would be best to keep Stepney and Daisy as the priorities, especially after seeing what others have posted on the forum and additional sources of social media). But perhaps we could keep Sidney as a possible plan C, just in case Bachmann chooses to invest in more new toolings in other areas such as narrow gauge, large scale, or even the resin building range.

As for the Square Water Tower, the first thing that grasped my attention was its price. I bought the model for just $15, which is very a generous price in my opinion. Aesthetically, the model is extremely accurate to the television series in size, shape, and proportions. And, I absolutely love the rivets and swiveling water spout. Would highly recommend this model to anyone!

TheJJ

This question is going out to anyone who has the Skarloey or Rheneas model(s). Which do you think I should go for first? Is there any difference to how they run? Possibly hold out until the release of Rusty? I fully plan on getting one of them as I finally have the funds and room to add some HOn30 to my layout and will definitely post pictures. Which should I acquire first?

Chaz

Both models have an amazing quality both in terms of aesthetics and how smooth they both are.  Both of them are readily available in shops online, but personally I would go for Skarloey while you still can first since he seemed to sell out a lot faster when he first came out.  My guess on Rusty is that he will either be out by the end of the year or early 2019.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is that bothered by Paxton's face, but it does make me concerned if Sidney if the faceplate issue would be even worse consider his face and eyes are a lot smaller and his faceplate would be a different shape of that than Paxton or Diesel's.  If Bachmann is limited on resources and can't do new engine toolings in HO, I would honestly rather see them add DCC and sound to their HO engines like they did for large scale.

Metal

Brought new stuff

Arry and Bert

Maybe not as exciting to most, but I'd say why not? The positives is that the paintwork and hazard sprites are nicely applied. The negatives is that they have the same face, I still have respect for Bachmann for at least making them accurate. What else is there to say? However, they still decent edition to your collection, from a completist standpoint.

Skarloey

Perhaps the best purchase I've made since Duck and Donald/Douglas. I've actually took it out for a couple minutes and put it straight back in the box. Looking forward to getting Rheneas.

Rickenbacker 325

Well, I know some people i personally know were jealous over the flatcar i found at the train show so cheap. The luck keeps on coming for me! I found a red express coach, in perfect condition, for $28. Yes, I bought it right away. Now the problem is finding a brake coach to match for the same price.  ::)

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Chaz on August 17, 2018, 02:14:55 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who is that bothered by Paxton's face, but it does make me concerned if Sidney if the faceplate issue would be even worse consider his face and eyes are a lot smaller and his faceplate would be a different shape of that than Paxton or Diesel's.  If Bachmann is limited on resources and can't do new engine toolings in HO, I would honestly rather see them add DCC and sound to their HO engines like they did for large scale.

Fair enough, though I do think that two advantages that Sidney has are that his eyes are high up and that his eye brows are not as bold as Paxton's. Either way, it's clear that Sidney's face would not be perfect, but Bachmann could pull him off if they really wanted to.

Since you also mentioned DCC and sound, I wonder if Bachmann could add working headlamps to the locos. Or, I wonder if there is even a website that can install LED lights into the engines' headlamps.

http://www.dcctrain.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2762

I know that DCC Train installed headlamps, but I'm not sure if my layout would have to be DCC in order for the Thomas model to run with working lights.

Quote from: TheJJ on August 17, 2018, 01:13:30 AM
This question is going out to anyone who has the Skarloey or Rheneas model(s). Which do you think I should go for first? Is there any difference to how they run? Possibly hold out until the release of Rusty? I fully plan on getting one of them as I finally have the funds and room to add some HOn30 to my layout and will definitely post pictures. Which should I acquire first?

I would go for Skarloey first too; he's slightly stronger and smoother than Rheneas, but both models are terrific nonetheless.