Mr. B - Question regarding wiring on Spectrum 2-10-0s

Started by rogertra, January 24, 2016, 08:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Mr. B.

I have three Bachmann 2-10-0s  one with sound and two without.

The one with sound is original, as it came from the box, while the other two have been detailed, painted and slightly kitbashed.  They are what, ten years old?

What I'd like to do is to run the new sound equipped tender chassis behind one of my detailed locos and swap tender bodies so the sound tender is now weathered and carries the number of the detailed loco.

However, when I plug the sound tender into the detailed loco, I get a dead short.  This should not happen, or should it?  If so, why?  Did Bachmann make wiring changes to the sound equipped tenders so they will not be electrically compatible with older run, non sound locos?

This is very frustrating as it hasn't happened to other engines where I've swapped tender bodies and chassis so I can have a matched engine and sound tender.

Cheers

Roger T.

the Bach-man

Dear Roger,
It is possible that there were changes, but they weren't done to make older locos incompatible.
I really don't have an answer for you.
Sorry,
the Bach-man

rogertra

Quote from: the Bach-man on January 24, 2016, 10:22:32 PM
Dear Roger,
It is possible that there were changes, but they weren't done to make older locos incompatible.
I really don't have an answer for you.
Sorry,
the Bach-man

I found the answer.  I simply swung the trucks around so each truck now picks up power from the other rail.  :-)

Now I have other issues and the detailed 2-10-0 does not run. This is one I was hoping to put the "new", sound chassis behind.  I can push it and it will sometimes freewheel so I think the drive belt may be having issues.  The loco has been in a box for over five years and not been used since I switched to DCC.   I'll remove the body and have a look as, if the belt has just dried out, a little lubricant may bring it back to life.  If not and the drive belt needs replacing and that will be a real pain as I gather Bachmann are out of stock and have been for some time.

Never rains but it pours.

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

Regards.

Roger T.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, you might be able to get a suitable belt from another source.

Irbricksceo

Did somebody mention a long time ago that the 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 shared a belt? I can't recall but that seems like something I heard somewhere...
Modeling NYC in N

Hunt

The HO 2-10-0 and 2-8-0 use the same belt - diameter 20mm, teeth 30.