News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Side by side tracks

Started by jlc41, January 25, 2016, 07:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlc41

I have an HO Glacier gravel company building with two bays.  I would like to run track to both bays. However the width of the center column is 1/4 inch. So that makes the EZ track ballast have a 1/4 inch between each track. My problem is what or how do I use to (why or turnout) to select either bay. Thanks for your help.

Len

To use track in both bays of 'Glacier Gravel' you need to use track that does not have built in roadbed, such as Atlas 'Snap-Track' or lengths of flex track. Code 100 will match your EZ-Track, or you can use Code 83 if you use transition rail joiners. Use carpenter's shims to transition from the EZ-Track roadbed height to no roadbed.

The alternative is just use EZ-Track in just one bay, and use the other bay for trucks. Like they did on the "World's Greatest Hobby" track pack 'Madison Central' layout:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jlc41

Okay then. What # turnout or switch would I need to give me minimum divergence between both tracks so they can run parallel?     

Len

It depends on how much space you have. A #6 would be the easiest way to get minimal spacing between parallel tracks, but they are long.

A #4 wye would probably be your best bet. It takes less space, and should handle most hopper cars.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jlc41

Thanks Len, I'll let you know how I make out. Lots to learn and research.