bachman power packs about 2005 production date.

Started by jfb, January 24, 2016, 10:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfb

I am using a 2005 bachman power pack for the operation of 26 model power street lights is it strong enough to handle only this load or could it handle better about 20 switches.

Len

What's the amp rating of the power pack and what are the amp ratings of your bulbs? And are you operating them off the DC side, so you can control brightness, or the AC side?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jfb

I  do not know the light draw rating or amperage draw of the switches or power pack out put that is the reason for my question.

on30gn15

Streetlight package cardboard might have had bulb amp rating in the fine print.
If none of those are left, try contacting MRC - I just looked at their website and current rating doesn't seem to be shown in MP product descriptions.

Power pack ought to somehow, somewhere, have the output ratings, some power packs even have the writing molded in to the plastic instead of printed on.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

jfb

James in FL

You're asking us to play detective here and you're not providing any clues.
Few here are game to do that.

QuotePower pack ought to somehow, somewhere, have the output ratings, some power packs even have the writing molded in to the plastic instead of printed on.
See if the rating specs are embossed on the bottom of your power supply.

First, please answer the question posed by Len;
QuoteAnd are you operating them off the DC side, so you can control brightness, or the AC side?

Second, is your circuit wired in parallel or series?
Third, do you have access to, and know how to use, a multi-meter?

If you don't know the potential of your power supply, and you are just adding load until the power supply can no longer "take it", you are then potentially playing with fire.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Desertdweller

It can handle the switches easier than the lights, because the switches will only be intermittent rather than continuous, and you will never need to power all the switches at the same time.

Les

jfb

ac side of power pack for the 205 atlas connectors for power. 2nd I wish that the packages would come with the power draw on them doing detective work or guessing can be hit or miss. I am a believer in being as exact as possible at all times that is the reason for my posts in this forum before I run my entire layout together and hooked up as a whole. I have read several articles in the past and they state a certain amount of lights together will work but be dim. I wired this in series also and made wiring harnesses for that purpose but real world experience like this website is more exact. I do know how to use electrical testing equipment it is part of my job. I am using a 1370 rail power pack and the ac side acordiing to past info is supposed to be 18 va fixed now that I know that the switches would be better off working on the bachman power pack. I never imagined that manufacturers would not post draw or amps it does not make sense for the consumer and ultimately the ones who buy there products.