News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Plug'n'play battery hookup

Started by Howard240, January 26, 2016, 08:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard240

I'm using a 11.1 v battery in my Climax with Plug'n'play board and Crest receiver.  I assume the battery hooks into Batt ! connector. Is this correct?

Batt 1 says 18v and Batt 2 says 6v.  I'm finding two battery inputs a bit confusing.
Thanks for any help.

BillBrakeman

Hi, Howard.  I hate it when I see a post that has been up for three days and not received any type of reply, so I will try to help out.  Be aware that I do not own a Climax so this is going to a blind person trying to help another blind person.

My first guess is that you have the 2011 version of the Bmann Climax that has an included sound system.  The 18 volt battery would be for running the loco and the 6volt would be for powering the sound system.  Hint: Call Bachmann's Service Department @ 800-356-3910 and ask for help.

Have you seen the youtube intro video on the Climax https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtX_8vZKXAg? It might give you some hints.

Bill

Howard240

Thanks, Bill.  That did help.  Unfortunately Bmann is no longer including the DVD described in the video.  It might have answered some of the questions.  I'm figuring it out, though.

RIrail

Bill, I have the Bachmann Forney locomotive and I believe it has a similar plug and play board as the Climax. In the operators manual it states that the 18 volt input is for battery locomotive operation (RC). The 6 volt battery terminal (INPUT BATT 2) is Bachmann quote "If desired, your sound system's + - inputs can also be use to directly power the locomotives chuff circuits using the INPUT BATT 2 screw terminals at the right rear of the board . These terminals have a voltage input range from 5 to 14 volts DC."

Hope this helps.
Steve

BillBrakeman

Steve, Thanks a lot for the information.  I believe that is what Howard was seeking.

Howard, there you go.  One question: How is the 11.1 v batt working for you?  Generally 12v is regarded as the minimum voltage for the "Revo"

Bill

Howard240

Thanks Steve and Bill.  I'll answer Bill's question about the 11.1 Batt in a few days.  I'm out of town just now and haven't run it yet.  I'll let you know.

StanAmes

Quote from: Howard240 on January 26, 2016, 08:42:02 PM
I'm using a 11.1 v battery in my Climax with Plug'n'play board and Crest receiver.  I assume the battery hooks into Batt ! connector. Is this correct?

Batt 1 says 18v and Batt 2 says 6v.  I'm finding two battery inputs a bit confusing.
Thanks for any help.

The 18 volt input is for your batery input.  The 6 volt input is for sound cards in DC operation to provide voltage to the cuff circirts when the track voltage is low.

Using 11.1 Volts is fine.  The locomotive will just have a top speed less then a 14.4 volt pack.

Hope that helps

Stan

doug c

This post might be of use for ya,  granted the Climax is probably a totally diff. electronics puzzle than the other Bachmann engines.

But you may find some similarities  looking thru Paul Norton's (OttawaValleGRS) fantastic write-ups regards  battery power, sound and Crest Revo-flavoured systems, to get you in the 'region' here is the link to  Revo' in a B'mann 4-6-0 (Annie);
http://ovgrs.org/the-trains/sound/bachmann-4-6-0-annie/

Warning: a lot of material to peruse/explore  :)

doug c

"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99