News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CA storage life

Started by SteamGene, November 20, 2007, 12:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I just had to throw away several unopened containers of CA because they had become hard.  While I'm aware that CA has a limited life once its been opened,  I didn't realize it could dry up in an unopened tube or bottle.  Has anybody else had this problem and is there a solution?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

My solution is that I seldom, if ever, use the stuff. Between the storage problems (opened and unopened) and the expense based on that waste, I only use it as a last resort.

I have found that epoxy will do 95% of the jobs CA is promoted for and while there is lots of waste with epoxy for small jobs, its cost and shelf life are much more agreeable.

Sheldon

ebtnut

Keeping CA in the freezer helps prolong its shelf life considerably.

WoundedBear

Ebtnut is right on the mark about freezing your CA....if that fails, at least keep it in a dark place....don't leave it out on your workbench.

I use CA a lot, but only buy it in the smaller bottles....I have yet to get through a large bottle without it hardening.

Sheldon's suggestion about 2 part epoxy is a good one as well.....but try buying it in the large size with 2 seperate bottles. Those "all in one" small tubes are messy and hard to meter out a small equal amount. With the bigger bottles you can put a drop or two of each part on a piece of scrap cardboard or plastic and mix it up. One of my nightly meds comes in a small foil cup....I save these and mix epoxy in them.

Sid

SteamGene

I've always bought CA in small conainers because of the drying out and used them fairly rapidly.   However, I bought some in a Hungates that was closing and got some more from a Wal-Mart when I first discovered Wal-Mart sold CA.  So all of it sat on a shelf and became hardened while I used the Wal-Mart in a bottle with a brush.
Freezing sounds like a good idea
Thanks.  Glad I'm not going bonkers.
Chief Brass Hat

richG

I searched the 'Net for "storing CA adhesive".

http://www.mercuryadhesives.com/MercuryFAQ.htm
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/super-glue.html

Don't forget, the 'Net is a Huge library.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The best CA I've ever found, both in terms of holding power and shelf life, is Dr. Mike's Formula 2. I've used it to build all the prototypes you've seen here in the last few years, and I've actually emptied several bottles (as opposed to throwing away the last 25% in a lump)!
I get it from Micro-Mark.
Happy Thanksgiving!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

Along the same lines, has anybody used Gorilla Glue for model railroading purposes?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jake

I wouldn't recommend it. That stuff also hardens in the bottle after a while. Not to mention it expands when it dries and leaves a big puke colored lump-o-sumthin on what ever you use it for.

Id rather stick with the CA. (Hehe...)
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

wally

I use  the ca called Zap-A-Gap . I keep it in the fridge on one of the drink shelves. It stays for month's. You don't need to freeze it.

Atlantic Central

Jake is right, urethane glues like Gorilla glue are not suited to fine work, they are intended to be very strong for furniture and the like. They expand considerably while dring and often ooze from the joint, even when applied sparingly.

For woodworking I prefer the Borden/Elmers brand of urethane glue over Gorilla, it is just as strong and has better working qualities and a longer shelf life.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I've been using Elmer's carpender's glue for the VT&P.  I've found it very strong, yet, if a mistake is noticed, a hammer and chisel pops the joint with minimal destruction.
BTW, the Mechanical Engineer is mad at me because I promised him the steel viaduct would get assembled today and it didn't.  Tomorrow.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat