News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Plastic surgery

Started by Titanic5972, January 30, 2016, 06:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titanic5972

So my fleet of troublesome trucks is expanding and I have started to swap a few faces around to give them more variety. So far I have swapped the TT #1 face with the TT #4 face, and a TT #2 face with a TT #3 face. Currently my fleet is as follows

TT #1
TT #1/ with #4 face
TT #2
TT #2/ with #3 face
TT #3/ with #2 face
TT #4/ with #1 face
And S.C.Ruffey as well.

More to follow soon too.

Jacob Wilson

This is a good idea actually. How did you take the faces off without damaging them?

Titanic5972

They actually just popped off really easily. I'm guessing the glue or whatever is not that strong. I just put a flat head screw driver under the face em wherever there was a gap and twisted slightly.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Titanic5972 on January 30, 2016, 07:38:12 AM
They actually just popped off really easily. I'm guessing the glue or whatever is not that strong. I just put a flat head screw driver under the face em wherever there was a gap and twisted slightly.

I imagine the glue is not strong. Would it not damage the face around the edges using a screwdriver to twist and force the face off?

Titanic5972

Not if you do it gently. Do it from the bottom so that if you do damage the edge of the face a little then it won't be visible.

sean1994rail

I bought 4 each of the 4 troublesome trucks, totalling 16, and swap face between them.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: sean1994rail on January 30, 2016, 03:53:15 PM
I bought 4 each of the 4 troublesome trucks, totalling 16, and swap face between them.

All of that must have been expensive, but what is the reason for swapping the faces between them?

sean1994rail

Not too expensive. Got a few at a time over a few years. Thought that by doing it, a rake of troublesome cattle vans, green open wagons and the grey open wagons would have different faces. Them having the same faces as each other would look meh IMO.

UPTODAY

TITANIC5972;what a great idea you had there.I might have to copycat that.face swapping parties!!!!WOW,what fun!!!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: UPTODAY on January 30, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
TITANIC5972;what a great idea you had there.I might have to copycat that.face swapping parties!!!!WOW,what fun!!!!!
UPTODAY

Oh, dear! Not another face swapper of the Troublesome Trucks! I have considered this in the past, but with my shaky hands, I would be scared of scratching or chipping the paint on the Wagon and of course damaging the face, by scratching it, chipping it or snapping it!

I think it is best that I do not think of doing this type of thing, to stop the risk of damaging a perfectly good model railway item.

Chaz

Swapping faces on troublesome trucks is pretty common with most Thomas modelers.  I took the faces off both of my troublesome truck #3s and put them on regular cattle wagons. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on January 30, 2016, 06:56:29 PM
Swapping faces on troublesome trucks is pretty common with most Thomas modelers.  I took the faces off both of my troublesome truck #3s and put them on regular cattle wagons. 

Where the Troublesome Truck #3 face's you took off, put on the 77030 Cattle Wagon?

Chaz

Yes, I put them on regular cattle wagons.  That's literally what I said in my last post. ::)
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on January 30, 2016, 07:13:17 PM
Yes, I put them on regular cattle wagons.  That's literally what I said in my last post. ::)

I am sorry, I thought you meant non-Thomas & Friends Cattle Wagon's. I thought maybe you meant Cattle Wagon's from Bachmann's standard HO range or something. :-[

Titanic5972

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on January 30, 2016, 04:18:12 PM
Quote from: sean1994rail on January 30, 2016, 03:53:15 PM

All of that must have been expensive, but what is the reason for swapping the faces between them?

The reason to swap the faces is to expand the range of trucks with differing faces. I now have 4 different grey troublesome trucks all with different faces, rather than having 4 trucks, with 2 of each face. I will only be able to do 3 different green trucks because the face on the cattle wagon is too big for the end of the green truck.