News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opening a F7a

Started by RouxBDoo, February 09, 2016, 08:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RouxBDoo

Hi, I was looking to see if I could change the shell on a F7a NS, (like comes in the Thoroughbred set).  I took the small black screws out of what looks to be a fuel tank.  Then when I attempted to remove the phillips screws from the 4 posts, there is NO budging them.  I finally gave up and reattached the black screws that hold the board in and now it doesn't run.  The motor is running but the wheels aren't connecting.  The only solution I can think of is taking the chassis out and reattaching what's come loose.  Anyone else had problems with these screws???  I don't want to strip them but they won't budge.

Help!

Tim
The Southern Serves The South

jbrock27

Not trying to be flip here, but are you sure you are using the correct size Phillips head screwdriver to try to remove them?  I either use the larger of the Phillips size out of a jewelers set or a small Craftsman Phillips head, #0. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

RouxBDoo

Hey JBrock, thanks and yes. I tried several sizes.  Several seemed to seat perfectly, but still would not budge.

jbrock27

You're welcome.  Sorry that did not provide any help.  
Can you shine a light, like from a small flashlight, down each of the holes to tell the condition of the screw heads?  And do any of them  turn at all or no?
Keep Calm and Carry On

bapguy

Put the screw driver on the screw head and give it a whack with a small hammer. This might help loosen the screws.  Joe

jbrock27

Unless you had a foam engine cradle or something similar to hold the loco in, I would be very wary of doing that.
Keep Calm and Carry On

RouxBDoo

Hey guys thanks for the info, especially the hammer idea, Hah.  I finally got the screws out, turns out they were turning they were just stripped in the plastic posts and not moving (the screw heads were fine).  I got a magnetic screw driver and turned the shell right-side up, and they all came out.

I do appreciate your responses.

Timmy

jbrock27

Very good!  Glad you solved it :)
Keep Calm and Carry On