News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Crossovers

Started by Robjmarin, January 31, 2016, 11:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robjmarin

Hello
I just acquired a right and left hand Dcc # 6 crossovers . I would appreciate what the difference is since
Physically they look exactly alike. My instinct tells me it has to do with polarity. Iam new to model railroading so any information would helpful.
Thank you :)

Hunt

Note the direction of train travel when crossover is activated.

Right Crossover - the travel is to the track on the right.

Left Crossover - the travel is to the tracks on the left.

brokenrail

Good way to create a passing.
Johnny

HoModeler

Quote from: Robjmarin on January 31, 2016, 11:31:47 AM
Hello
I just acquired a right and left hand Dcc # 6 crossovers . I would appreciate what the difference is since
Physically they look exactly alike. My instinct tells me it has to do with polarity. Iam new to model railroading so any information would helpful.
Thank you :)

Crossovers make your train either go on a Left or Right siding or Track...As long as your track crossovers are hooked up to Track Power correctly Polarity has nothing to do with it... " I have all my Crossovers wired on both side's with Track power " I know its a bit overkill & don't need to do that but I wanted my Layout to have Power Leads on both ends of my crossovers... More so because all my Loco's are DCC & I don't have to worry about a power loss or dead spot...

gbradley

@Hunt...
Thank you so much for that definitive answer. I have looked at them in the catalog and have wondered about that for a loooooong time. I incorrectly thought you could just turn it upside down....

Thanks again for clearing that up #direction of travel..   #brilliant!!!!!!