Using Bachmann couplers on other makers trucks

Started by Chuck N, February 03, 2016, 10:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck N

There has been some discussion of adapting Bachmann knuckle couplers to other manufacturers trucks.  This is what I have done.

I drill a hole in the truck tongue right behind the coupler shank and infront of the axle.  I then screw in a "small screw eye" that I got at ACE, part number 76454.  This is a USAt Arch Bar truck.

Insert the plastic rod into the eye and then attach the coupler to the truck tongue.  The plastic rod does rub against the axle, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.  If you cut it off between the eye and the axle, the remaining stub may fall out of the eye on a tight curve.

Chuck

I think that you could insert the eye between the mounting screw and the end of the coupler shank, this would permit you to be able to cut off some of the plastic rod and still keep it in the eye.

Loco Bill Canelos

Chuck,

Thanks for posting this elegant  8) solution to adding Bachmann knuckle couplers to other brand trucks.  I already have plans to use your idea.  I use only Bachmann and USAT knuckle couplers, since both couple together with no problems.  I convert all my other brand cars to one or the other.  You just made it simple.

Great solution!!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

Bill

Thanks for the comments, glad to be able to help.

Chuck