News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BIG HAULER DRIVE GEAR

Started by RAN RON, February 03, 2016, 09:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAN RON

The plastic drive gear of my big hauler is broken and I can't find the part in Bachmann online store.
I would appreciate your help on where to buy this part.

Thanks,
RanRon

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Ran Ron,

Their are 5 different gearboxes used in Big Hauler 4-6-0 locomotives. Not sure which you have.  several versions are out of production.  Here is a list:

Yours could be either version 2 , 3,  4, or 5.  Give us some idea what you have and we can  hopefully make some recommendations. 

Big Hauler 4-6-0 Chassis Version Identification  by Bill Canelos                 Copyright 1989-2016 by Bill Canelos All right reserved.               
Version 1  1988-1990  Battery Powered R/C Units                              
Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn drivers by hand and motor will turn                              
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                              
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                              
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..                              
Version 6  2011-Pres  New Chassis for Annie only, has metal gears and new front truck identifiable only by the new front truck                              
Note that the dates overlap and as of Feb 1, 2012 have not been fixed more precisely, but all new sets introduced in 1999 with the VHS instructions were version 5                              
These  sets were 90032,33,34,35,and 37                              
All Big Hauler 4-6-0's manufactured after 2000 have the version 5 chassis, all new sets after 2000 have it as well.                              
As of Feb 2012 Sets have version 5 chassis but all new Annies produced from late 2011 have the version 6 chassis it remains unclear if version 6 chassis will be included in sets                              
To print this spreadsheet use landscape mode and 85 % as the size in page setup.  May not work on all printer types.                              
Margins must be set at .25 on all sides.              Copyright 1989-2016 by Bill Canelos All rights reserved.            

Loco Bill                  
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

RAN RON

Hi Loco Bill,
I'm not sure which one I have, but this is what I found in the Instruction Manual.
G SCALE TRAIN SET ITEM NO #90026 SH GOLDEN SPIKE
Hope this helps.

RanRon

Loco Bill Canelos

Ran Ron,

Bad news, your locomotive was made back between 1996 and 1998, It will have either the version 3 or version 4 chassis and gears.  Unfortunately the gears are no longer available and were superseded by the version 5 chassis and gearbox.

It may be possible to get a gear from nwsl.com/ :

Here is their gear request form:

http://nwsl.com/Gear_Request_FORM.html

Another way would be to buy a complete chassis with the latest Version 5 chassis and gearbox:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=4087

The complete chassis is $85 and you would have to add your boiler and cab to it, but you would have the latest smooth running Version 5 chassis.  Sometime they go on sale for less if you can wait and keep an eye out.

If you can afford the $85, and your boiler and cab are in good shape, I recommend the new chassis.  Even if you find a gear from NWSL one of the others could go bad at any time. 

Wish I had better news and hope you get your locomotive running soon.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!