Question on Bachmann Large Scale Long Caboose

Started by Plow_Bender, February 01, 2016, 12:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

Hey there everyone,
I'm looking to purchase yet another piece for my large scale collection, this time being the Bachmann long caboose model number 88799.

I'd like to purchase this piece because I feel its more eye-catching than the bobber caboose that I currently own.  However, one thing about the model concerns me and I'd like to get a few options and ask questions before I purchase it.

One of my biggest concerns is how well will the model work on 4' diameter curves?  Bachmann says it preforms best on 8', but my layout has 4' as well.  Bachmann's features on the product state and I quote "die-cast scale knuckle couplers (body-mounted coupler pockets for wide radius use only)".  So does that mean the couplers require the model to be run on 8' diameter curves?  I was wondering if this issue can maybe be gotten around if you have the caboose hooked to anther piece of rolling stock that has the coupler mounted on the trucks?  Has this ever been tried before and does it work?

Another question I had with the model is how good is it?  I've seen reviews on the model and it is highly detailed both inside and out.  What really pulled me into wanting it was the interior.  If I were to point out what draws me in the most, it would have to be the kerosene lamps.  Does anyone else have this model?  If so, can you share your thoughts about it?  Wouldn't mind seeing some photos as well.

Thanks,
Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

charon

Rusty,
I took the same caboose and shortened it to make it 18'-0" and it works fine on my really tight 16" radius curves. Email me and I will send you some pix.
Also, before I shortened the caboose, I removed the supplied trucks and body mounted couplers and replaced them with Bachmann's standard trucks with the truck mounted couplers and this also worked on the 16" radius track.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Chuck N

What cars and engines are you going to run with the long caboose?  It is a Spectrum model that is 1:20.3.  It will look very large if you are running it with Big hauler rolling stock.  Those are 1:22.5/24. 

You will definitely, need truck mounted couplers.  I have two of the Spectrum long cabooses (cabeese) and really like them.  My curves are all 10' diameter or larger. 

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Chuck C,

Can you post a picture of your shortened Long caboose here on the forum??   

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Plow_Bender

Hey again,
Quote from: Chuck N on February 01, 2016, 10:34:36 AM
What cars and engines are you going to run with the long caboose?  It is a Spectrum model that is 1:20.3.  It will look very large if you are running it with Big hauler rolling stock.  Those are 1:22.5/24.

I do in fact have a few Spectrum products so size is not an issue for me in terms of what I'm running it with.  In terms of what I'm running it on, you and the other Chuck both made a point to put regular trucks on the model which is what I may end up doing myself.

Something I wanted to show everyone was the Bachmann Porter locomotive I have and something I've noticed with it.  If you look at the photos I've supplied, it too has body mounted couplers, but works on the 4' curves when hooked to rolling stock with truck mounted couplers.

Considering the back of the model swings out quite a bit and that there is enough pivot in the couplers to prevent any issues, can the same thing be said for the long caboose?  I am very much aware we are dealing with 2 different sizes of models here, but it's just a thought.

-Rusty

Chuck N

Rusty

If you look carefully at your middle picture,you will see that the couple on the Porter is swiveling on the end of the shank.  It is not pointing out straight.  This lets it pull a car with truck mounted couplers around 4' diameter curves.  If it has a fixed straight shank coupler it would derail the car.

The long caboose has a solid shank on the coupler and it cannot swing very far left and right in the coupler box. You could possibly modify the box by cutting out some of each side of the box.  You might be able to use a similar coupler that pivots on the caboose. 

Truck mounted couplers stay centered over the track.  Body mounted couplers swing out away from the center of the track.  The tighter the curve the greater the swing.  It is also possible that the body mounted spectrum couplers will be at a different height.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Rusty,

Unfortunately the Porter coupler is not available in the parts store.  You might be able to in some way use the standard Bachmann 1:22.5 coupler which swivels just like the porter coupler, but you would have to deal with a way to hold the centering spring in place.  There is also a coupler with a coupler box and spring you may be able to adapt. These couplers can be found in the "universal parts" area in the parts store.  As Chuck N says there is often a problem with coupler heights.   Since you have both scales I am sure you have run into height issues before.

The 1:20.3 Long Caboose is a fabulous model, and where there is a will there is a way, most modelers I know do not want to cut pieces off which may be necessary if adding truck mounted couplers which will work on the 4 foot curves. 

Bill

Chuck N

Bill

I have put a small eye bolt into the coupler tongue behind the coupler assembly to hold the centering spring, aka short black plastic rod.

Thinking a little more about it, I may have put the eyebolt near the end of the coupler shank.  I don't use them now because all of my couplers are at body mount height.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Chuck N,

Chuck,

Would you happen to have a photo of that method using the eyebolt you could post??   Might be of interest to many in the group, and sounds like a great method even though you don't need it anymore.  I know I never thought of that!!  It might even work for  Rusty.

Bill

Chuck N

Bill

I wish I could.  I'm now in Arizona for a couple of months.  I think that all the evidence is back in Virginia.

I'll look through my scrap couplers out here and see if I can fine anything to help.

Chuck

on30gn15

Hey, that eye bolt/screw thing is an idea: am part way along fitting Bachmann couplers to a HLW Mack and that couple centering is an issue.
On a future one I want to try a traction style radial coupler, with coupler fixed to a pivoting shaft like I once did with Kadee's on HO in decades past, which will still need something done with the Bachmann coupler's centering spring shaft.

Wonder if an eye pin could be formed out of music wire and glued in to a hole in shaft in lieu of bolt or screw? Even a simple U might work, a la wire staple.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Chuck N

I went to a local hardware store and found the smallest eye bolt/screw.  The opening of the eye is about 3/16", or less.

Chuck

Chuck N

I found some B'mann couplers.  I'll try to find some eye screws at a local hardware store in the next day or so.  Then I'll post some pictures.

Looking at the coupler, the eye goes into the tongue on the truck, not the coupler.  Not enough room.

Chuck

charon

Loco Bill,
I still can't get photobucket to work.  Some months ago I emailed you pix of my shortened Spectrum caboose and shortened (to 18) Spectrum box cars. I will email again if you can post them here.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on February 01, 2016, 04:26:10 PM
Unfortunately the Porter coupler is not available in the parts store.  You might be able to in some way use the standard Bachmann 1:22.5 coupler which swivels just like the porter coupler, but you would have to deal with a way to hold the centering spring in place.  There is also a coupler with a coupler box and spring you may be able to adapt. These couplers can be found in the "universal parts" area in the parts store.  As Chuck N says there is often a problem with coupler heights.   Since you have both scales I am sure you have run into height issues before.

Bill,
Are you saying that the Porter couplers would make the caboose compatible with tighter radius curves?  If that's the case and I can't get them separately, I could possibly machine some out of aluminum that would fit on the caboose and also be at the correct height.

-Rusty