"Dullcote" on Plasticville buildings?

Started by Ned, November 19, 2007, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned

My modeling skills are, shall we say, "limited".  :-[
Would using "Dullcote" or a similar product somewhat lessen the toylike appearance of Plasticville buildings or does that make them look too dingy?

Thank you.

Ned

Paul M.

I think Dullcote definitely wouldn't hurt.

I've heard (and noticed) that Dullcote makes unpainted plastic less "plasticy"

BTW,
What do you mean by "dingy"?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Ned

Paul:

Appreciate the reply.

Somewhat hard to define just what I meant but I'm thinking in the steam era homes and other structures near tracks would get somewhat grimy but I also think most owners had pride in their buildings and would do what they could to keep them attractive. I would want to avoid the appearance that the buildings had been neglected while trying to convey they were subjected to some deterioration from soot and such...does that make sense??

Ned

jazzfan4

Plastic has a shine that is not realistic when done as bricks or wood unless said bricks and wood have been painted with a high gloss paint.  Dullcote will take off the shine.  Another way of making those buildings look better is to fill the mortar lines in the brick or block, a light gray acrylic paint worked into the grooves and then cleaned off the surface will both dull the surface and color the space between to make the detail pop out. You can also fill the shadows and grooves of siding to give the same relief, but pick a  silmilar color in a darker shade.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Take another look at the Riley's Run layout. Many of the buildings are painted Plasticville.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jake

Quote from: Ned on November 20, 2007, 07:40:06 AM
Paul:

Appreciate the reply.

Somewhat hard to define just what I meant but I'm thinking in the steam era homes and other structures near tracks would get somewhat grimy but I also think most owners had pride in their buildings and would do what they could to keep them attractive. I would want to avoid the appearance that the buildings had been neglected while trying to convey they were subjected to some deterioration from soot and such...does that make sense??

Ned

I believe "Weathering" would be the term you are looking for.

--Happy Holidays!
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

JM

I Dullcote EVERYTHING! locos, rolling stock,buildings and figures .
It helps the overall appearance of the Plasticville stuff,  but the best idea is paint them. It still won't help with the fact that they look like toy buildings, but at least you can try to camouflage the toylike appearnce.

az2rail

Dullcote will only remove the shine. Which is better looking in my opinon, but it won't make it look dirtier. You can buy a 11oz. can on Krylon Matte Finish for less than a 3oz can of Testors dull coat.  Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.