Williams SD-45 restore questions..More Questions

Started by flatcar51, February 07, 2016, 07:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatcar51

Hi,
I am trying to restore a Williams SD-45 early (I think) and have lots of questions.
Here are the first.
1. What is the size of the truck Screw?.. 6-32?
2. What is the size of the roller pick up mount screw?
3. When the motor mount is screwed in the chassis with the Truck mount screw is there suppose to be a lot of slop or a little?
4. Where can I get or what can I use for a roller pickup? (Bachmann is sold out)

Many more questions to follow as I progress and learn.

Thanks in advance.

phillyreading

I did an upgrade to a Williams F-7 engine a couple years ago and have the center rollers left over, they are from an unpowered unit, they should be the same for an SD-45. Let me know if you want them.
When the motors go together to the truck assembly there should be almost no play or slop as some people call it. You should be able to turn the top of the motor and see the wheels turn very slowly, it may take 5 or 6 turns of the motor to turn the wheel a fraction of an inch that is normal, however there should be very little resistance.

Lee Fritz

Len

The pick-up assemblies on the 6-wheel SD trucks are not the same as the 4-wheel F7/GP trucks. I may have a few left in my parts bins, I'll check tomorrow. I also check on the screw sizes, which I'm pretty sure are metric.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

phillyreading

Len,
I would say the screw sizes are in metric as Williams by Bachmann is made in China. Some of the later Williams before the Bachmann buyout were made in China as well.

Lee F.

flatcar51

I have another question
How does the roller attach to the Truck . Here is a picture of the trucks I have

SD-45 Truck Picture

phillyreading

I will have to look at my Williams SD-45 engines and see how the center rail roller attaches. I have 2 different versions of SD-45's by Williams, one made during the 1990's and one made about 8 years later, and the only difference I know of is the circuit boards.

Lee F.

Len

The motor mount screw that goes up through the bottom of the truck is a 3mm x .5pitch x 12mm long flathead screw.

The truck in the picture looks like it's been modified, the large square hole shouldn't be there. There should be solid metal, with a couple of pins sticking out to keep the plastic insulating pad in the picture lined up, and a hole for a screw that comes down through an insulating "plug" from the top and into the pickup assembly. No idea why the big hole was carved into your truck.

Len

flatcar51

Len, thanks for the reply . This may shed some light on the subject. This is a early William SD-45 here is a picture of two more like mind note the bottom picture.

Early William Pre-Bachman

Len

Wow! That must be really, really, early production, in the 16 years or so my repair shop was open I never saw one like that.

The pick-ups in the first picture are what I always saw on SD's, what's in the latest picture are completely different. They look like the pick-ups Lionel, and Williams, used on a number of passenger cars.

You might be able to modify a Lionel 6209401183 - COLLECTOR ASSEMBLY COMPLETE / SCALE TRK as a replacement. Or laying hands on some Williams passenger car trucks and 'stealing' the pick-up assemblies from them.

The alternative is replacing completely replacing the truck blocks with the newer style, that uses the pick-ups in the first picture you posted. They can be see at:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_77_219&products_id=8847&zenid=ne9g02j97ferv21psshgmqq3e4

Len

phillyreading

Steve, I have seen that model of SD-45 truck assembly before, and it should also have metal wheels for the dummy set of wheels and not plastic like the later versions will have. The hole for the motor mounting might be correct for that version of Williams engines, so don't do anything for now! Put the motors back together and the center rail roller and see what happens, if you have problems then order the replacement truck assembly, however using the newer truck assembly with your version might need newer motors as well because the worm screw could be different and not match the gears in the replacement truck assembly.

Another version of Williams that I have seen in photos is one that uses something like the old Lionel post war motor in the Williams diesel engine, and that would be really early Williams.

Lee F.

phillyreading

I have seen several Williams versions of the same model, even different versions of the Crown Edition passenger cars, fixed couplers and opening couplers for the same model of the same railroad name, most likely a different year. I had a friend many years back who was an independent Williams dealer when Jerry Williams ran "Williams Trains" and have seen a lot of different sets by Williams.
I will admit there are some Williams engines and cars that I have not seen. Williams used to make 6 car passenger sets some years ago.
I don't keep up with the newer Williams by Bachmann.

Lee F.