News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Great Race Thread

Started by Metal, February 12, 2016, 02:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan2020

I just love how people still think this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWlXiSGl-FI&feature=youtu.be) is the trailer for TGR...when its actually only a teaser! XD

The trailer will probably be out by this Spring.

Metal

JLK2707

I wonder if Gordon will stay streamlined for good.

DinoNTrains

I hope not. Though, in the end, I doubt it. Just a few things considered, how many of us were a bit concerned that Bill and Ben would stay blue after the events of Bill or Ben? Since they returned to their regular colors after that episode, then I'm guessing Gordon will regain his normal shape after The Great Race (correct me if I'm wrong about how streamlining locomotives works).
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

Anthony P2

I don't think it will be permanent. it's just a gimmick to sell more toys.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Anthony P2 on March 23, 2016, 09:12:41 PM
It's just a gimmick to sell more toys.
I was trying to be optimistic before, but it's proving difficult for me to keep that mindset now. I think that sentence could basically sum up my thoughts on this whole special so far really.
Like, I hope it's good, but realistically...I think it's just around to sell toys, I even checked the TTTEWikia for some more info on the special to see what I could find. It's introducing more new engines than any other special...and with streamlining existing characters meaning more merchandising possibilities...I think we can mostly see where that train of thought is going.
Whilst I'm happy to see Flying Scotsman make an appearance, I think this special may be one of the weaker ones, it already seems very merchandise driven, which is a shame to me, but I suppose it could be far worse, and I also could be surprised...it could turn out really good in the end...maybe.

Another issue I see is the special's length...all these new characters in just 60 minutes? The special may have a hard time staying focused, that is, if these new characters aren't going to end up all being one dimensional cardboard cut-outs of characters, which I suspect plenty could end up being...so I'm hoping this isn't going to end up like seasons 9-16 and some of the special in between...but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the end result.

To me, it could go one way, or the other, but I suspect the final product will just be very merchandise driven, and overall, maybe not as good to me as it could be to others. Perhaps it's too early to make this kind of judgement, but based on some of the series' history, I wouldn't be surprised if it did end up that way.

Here's hoping it's still good in the end though,
~Alex :)

Chaz

Mattel is like any other company, they want to make money, and they do this by making sales off of toys more than anything else. This includes making locomotives look colorful or gimmicky to basically be "eye-candy" to children when they see these products on the toy shelves.  It pretty much explains a lot of the gimmicks and decisions that they make when it comes to marketing for a special or even when creating the design of a character as a whole, such as the colorful livery for Ashima.  This is especially true of the streamlined Thomas and Gordon, (which are obviously temporary).  Even though these aren't really meant to appeal to the older audience, it will excite the likes of a preschooler who would watch the movie and would want the toys around the time when the special comes out.

These marketing choices are not just what Mattel has done for this special, but it's a system they have been relying on once they stepped in and help make or announce products for different toy lines for the last couple of years such as Wooden Railway or Trackmaster.  Even before Mattel stepped in, other brands like Learning Curve have also made similar choices, but with Mattel this has become a lot more apparent.  Even this year's Bachmann announcements were the result of Mattel's marketing suggestions such as announcing a pink engine like Rosie and including colorful rolling stock recolors such as the lobster car and the fruit and vegetable van in large scale.  

Making sales on toys is what Mattel is clearly aiming for, which is why I think the role of the streamlined versions of Thomas and Gordon will be pretty minimal in the special itself, but their toy sales will be enoromous.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Anthony P2

I do have to say, I saw a picture recently of an engine of Ashima's basis and it's paint design was eccentric like hers. Pretty good move on Mattel's part if you ask me! An engine like that is sure to sell well!  ;)

Metal

New characters of their respective countries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/26/business/media/thomas-the-tank-engines-expanding-world.html

Ashima of India

Raul of Brazil

Yong Bao of China

Carlos of Mexico

Yong Bao's Face reminds me of Chinese Gordon.
Raul's face doesn't really look that great.
Carlos is one of the few engines in the entirety of the show to have an authentic design, the face though is average.
Personally, I consider Ashima to be the most promising, impressed how Arc is able to pull off her valve gear, and I also think her livery works, strangely enough, considering that Indian locomotives have colorful liveries in real life. Perhaps a Bachmann model of her in the future?

Discuss your thoughts. :)

MeganekkoFury1126

When I first saw Yong Bao, I thought he was based off the 2-8-2 type used on the Boone & Scenic Railroad in Iowa, but his actual prototype isn't too different.

And I first thought Carlos was based off one of the narrow gauge engines used on the Denver & Rio Grande (now being owned by the Durango & Silverton/Cumbres & Toltec), but I still think his prototype is my favorite so far.

I just hope that Ashima isn't going to try to be almost exactly like Ishani from Disney's Planes...

We'll have to wait to see how the other engines turn out. Regardless to how this feature turns out in the end, we still have to give credit to Brenner, McCue, and the crew for trying something this ethnically extensive. If they were just trying to sell more toys in the quickest way possible, they would've just chosen a bunch of different engines from just one country.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

I have to say, as a strong advocate of feminism, it is wonderful to see Ashima as a main character. I'm not too happy, however, about this movie which now seems to be a desperate cash-grab on the behalf of Mattel. Very unimpressed.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Ken Clark

Racing Vinnie the second North American entry,  appears to be a CNR 6400 class, done up in Royal Blue for the 1939 Royal Tour of Canada.

Ken Clark

JLK2707

I have noticed in the first picture of the great race that there are three other class 08 diesels which are coloured red and yellow. I wonder who they are....

Link: http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/The_Great_Race?file=TheGreatRace1.png

Thomasfan39

Did anyone see the flying Scottsmann!!!!!!! Is he on team Britain?