Any Thought on Bachmann Manurfacturing Diesels in large Scale

Started by rtraincollector, November 19, 2007, 07:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtraincollector

I've always liked Large scale but always wonder why Bachmnn has never offered any diesels. as There is a lot who prefer diesels.

Paul W.

Even though they are not still listed on the Bachmann web site, they did make a large scale diesel, and they are still available at many mail order dealers. A 45 ton 1:20.3 center cab switcher. You have to remember that Bachmann models their large scale trains after narrow guage RR's. The diesel actually represents a standard guage engine, reguaged to run narrow guage. This train is huge! If you want to test your track clearance, run this one around as it will show where the tight corners are.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

altterrain

As Paul said, there are not many narrow gauge diesel prototypes around. LGB offered a Yukon and White Pass model. Besides that model, there would be only a few D&RGW switchers, the Plymouth switcher, South American exports and Euro prototypes to model.

-Brian
President of

Nathan

Just a note, the Bachmann diesel does have some problems.  Our club has had two of them and the seem to have problems with one of the boards in the unit.  We have had to send them both back for repair.  When they do run they run smooth and pull good.

rtraincollector

Okay I understand that bachmann basicly deals in narrow gauge trains but if usa and aristo-craft and I think theres others that model full scale on the same size track couldn't they do it. I guess what I'm getting at is that Bachmann has a great reputation and all and I think that they could do great in an full size train in G Gauge as they already have the track and the know how. They already do it ho and n scale why not in G gauge. I just think there more of a reliable company not saying anything wrong with the other but I've delt with Bachmann in ho, n, and large scale as they call it.

the Bach-man

Dear RTC,
We could, but we won't. We are committed to narrow gauge equipment. Aristo, LGB, and USA are doing fine jobs with Standard Gauge prototypes.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

altterrain

The smaller scales, HO, N and O, are much larger markets than large scale. In smaller scales multiple manufacturers can make the same engine and still make a profit. The expense of making molds for a new engine is huge (over a million bucks) so there has to be enough of a market to justify that expense. Aristo and USA both make a quality product. You often hear whining over on the boards about wanting this or that  loco but without the ability to sell many thousands of the loco the manufacturers can't make money doing it. Hence the demise of LGB, MDC in large scale, Kalamazoo, and Delton.

-Brian
President of

Chuck Hanson

Quote from: altterrain on November 19, 2007, 10:28:16 PM
The smaller scales, HO, N and O, are much larger markets than large scale. In smaller scales multiple manufacturers can make the same engine and still make a profit. The expense of making molds for a new engine is huge (over a million bucks) so there has to be enough of a market to justify that expense. Aristo and USA both make a quality product. You often hear whining over on the boards about wanting this or that  loco but without the ability to sell many thousands of the loco the manufacturers can't make money doing it. Hence the demise of LGB, MDC in large scale, Kalamazoo, and Delton.

-Brian

A milliom $$$!!
Last I heard Lewis Polk comment about mold & engineering work was $250,000.00 to produce the Dash-9.. :)

Hmmm...manufacturers can't make any $$$ unless they sell thousands of locomotives??

New to large scale MTH has in only a few years made Hudson's, Northerns, Challengers, Big Boys, Dash-8's, F3's and soon to be released F7's, Pa's, Erie Triplex's, GG1's and a VO1000.

Build it and they will buy it!

LGB's conflict was all internal..store shelves in the USA are running out of LGB stock and just check the market to see how LGB collector prices have shot up lately..once Marklin resumes LGB production..well watch out.

altterrain

Current value of the dollar, the 3 axle trucks and smoke unit were already designed, and inflation would put that amount over a million for a complete ground up design  these days. I don't know who is buying Mike's large scale locos. Out of the hundreds of locos I have seen in person only one has been MTH outside of a boxed one at a train show and I live 20 mins. from their headquarters. I suspect heavy subsidization from their O scale stuff but that's a discussion for another forum.

-Brian
President of

rtraincollector

Thanks all can now see why not. Bachmann has enough going on especally with just aquiring Williams . And agree the large scale isn't big enough seller to do it and make it worth while at this point I understand Bachmann saying  we can but won't and take that to be it unless theres a major move of modelers to large scale big time . I was just think as bachmann is move value for your buck persay thats all once again thanks for all your answers.

vic

Quote from: altterrain on November 19, 2007, 08:16:18 PM
As Paul said, there are not many narrow gauge diesel prototypes around. LGB offered a Yukon and White Pass model. Besides that model, there would be only a few D&RGW switchers, the Plymouth switcher, South American exports and Euro prototypes to model.

-Brian

Are you 2 serious?

Gents,  there were hundreds, literally, of narrow gauge gasoline and later diesel powered engines built in narrow guage for use on US RRs and Industries. Brookville, Whitcomb, Plymouth, Porter, Davenport, Mack, EMD, to name a few, in sizes ranging from 1-1/2 tons to 44 tons, in narrow gauges from 3'6" to 18". Theres is NO shortage of prototypes

PS the biggest issue with B'manns first large scale Dizzy was that is was literally a standard gauge engine with narrow gauge trucks, which gave it such a large body shell that killed it for us on most layouts that were built to 1/22.5 clearances, some have actually gone on to new lives in F scale by being regauged to scale 4'8-1/2"!

Now if the first Dizzy had instead been something smaller but still unique to the market like this Brookville 13 tonner it might still IMHO be in production

Heck even if it was something like this using the Indy drivetrain, things might have been different

Anyway I do thing Bmann should give another Dizzy a spin, but something a little more managable, even a LS version of their Davenport critter from On30 would be nice.  ;D

altterrain

Okay Vic  :P. Lots of critters and switchers to model but narrow gauge road engine prototypes are pretty scarce  :-*.

-Brian
President of

scottychaos

Quote from: altterrain on November 20, 2007, 12:50:31 PM
Okay Vic  :P. Lots of critters and switchers to model but narrow gauge road engine prototypes are pretty scarce  :-*.

-Brian

When it comes to "road engines" then yes, narrow gauge "road" diesels are unusual..(at least in the USA..in other parts of the world narrow gauge road diesels are all over the place!) the only narrow gauge US railroad I can think of that has used "road diesels" is the White Pass in Alaska..(and a good model of one of those already exists in large scale! the LGB Alco.)

Most people who model narrow gauge in Fn3 scale naturally are interested in steam only..because their prototypes ran steam only..(3-foot Colorado railroads and the EBT mainly) So a narrow gauge "road diesel" isnt of much interest to those guys..(which is why IMO the Bachmann center cab Fn3 diesel was a flop..it didnt "go" with anything people were already modeling.)

There is a whole sub-group in the hobby interested in "critter" modeling..thats where a narrow gauge Fn3 "non-road" diesel would be a hit. (like the little critters shown above) The center-cab doesnt fit that niche well either, because it was just too darn big! So the center-cab ended up being a nice model without a home...it just didnt fit with any of the established Large Scale "niches"..

I think a little critter would be a hit for Bachmann!
but not a "road diesel" in narrow gauge..

Scot

Steve Stockham

A diseasal box on wheels is still a box! :P There are only so many $$$ available for narrow gauge steam prototypes. Any diseasals modelled takes away from a deserving steam engine!!! (Yup! I'm prejudiced and proud of it!! I would take the Vulcan in a heartbeat over a diseasal simply because it's a steamer! :D)
  Seriously though, I have no problem with a small switcher but it should be offered like the Porters were; as a secondary offering and not the primary Spectrum offering for the year!

vic

White Pass road dismals  ;D

GE class 96

GE3000

ALCO

Bombardier

MLW
Their out there,  :)

Images from the Whitepassfan.net website ;)