Any Thought on Bachmann Manurfacturing Diesels in large Scale

Started by rtraincollector, November 19, 2007, 07:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade Northern

I wish someone (Bachmann  ;)) would make White Pass #81.  It is Ex-US Army and I love the old US Military locomotives.  But, that's just me ;D

jpipkin

I vote for a scaled up version of the On30 Davenport.   

Chuck Hanson

QuoteAnd agree the large scale isn't big enough seller to do it and make it worth while at this point I understand Bachmann saying  we can but won't and take that to be it unless theres a major move of modelers to large scale big time

Where's the numbers to support that line of thinking?? Everything that I read is saying just the opposite..that large scale is growing by leaps & bounds.

Infact one large scale retailer that I know of pulls in over 6 million a year in sales...if just 2 more large retailers are doing that well then sales are at least in the 20 million dollar range...that's a lot of trains.

If sales are so slow to such a small group well then why does one major large scale manufacturer reduce the price on a new model locomotive by 30% in less than 90 days of hitting the market?

Now to me it doesn't make sense to reduce the price of a model by say 100.00 within 90 days esp. if that model cost the million dollars to make like some here think that it does.

QuoteOut of the hundreds of locos I have seen in person only one has been MTH outside of a boxed one at a train show and I live 20 mins. from their headquarters.
You don't see them because the market is huge..heck I live 10 minutes from the Union Pacific transcon line and I don't see all of the U.P.'s 10,000 locomotives!!

scottychaos

Quote from: Chuck Hanson on November 21, 2007, 02:02:47 AM
QuoteOut of the hundreds of locos I have seen in person only one has been MTH outside of a boxed one at a train show and I live 20 mins. from their headquarters.
You don't see them because the market is huge..heck I live 10 minutes from the Union Pacific transcon line and I don't see all of the U.P.'s 10,000 locomotives!!

I agree with Brian..
the reason we dont see MTH Large scale locos in not because "the market is huge"...I agree that it seems no one is buying them.

I am a member of a large G-scale club..the 50 members in the club combined own many hundreds of locomotives by Bachmann, USA Trains, Aristocraft, LGB and Hartland..and I have been to all kinds of train shows over the last several years..I have NEVER seen one single MTH Large Scale locomotive...I dont know of one single person in my club who owns one single MTH loco..

my theory is that there is a "hidden subgroup" of large scale modelers who model Large Scale in the "O scale" tinplate pattern..with "toy train" style indoor layouts..These must be the guys buying MTH! but these guys appear to be totally hidden and seperate from the rest of the Large Scale "garden railroad" community...I have certaintly never seen them! and no one I know owns a single MTH loco..and I know a ton of Large Scale modelers..

IMO, MTH made a mistake by doing their Large Scale locos in the O-scale "toy train" style..and making them 1/32 instead of 1/29.

Scot

Matthew (OV)

This scene on my railroad:

is only really possible because Bachmann's one diesel in 1:20.3 was not especially popular.  (and there's one on the railroad that didn't make the picture!)  That means they can often be had at "fire sale" prices.  This particular style 45 Tonner wasn't built by GE until the 1960's, and while it follows their then as now policy of one size carbody and different sized trucks, the model doesn't fit in with the timeframe on a lot of 1:20.3 folks model railroads.  Mine happens to include more modern things, so for me they're great.  I plan to combine a couple of them to produce something like the US Gypsum 1303 and 1403 (later GLW 130 and 140, now at CRM) or maybe something like the SP Narrow Gauge #1. 

I personally would love to see a White Pass and Yukon ALCO ... particularly the wide cab version ... but I'd probably be one of about twelve people who'd be excited about it, as opposed to the throngs of folks who like Alamosa or Orbisonia flavored steam locomotives .... and as such you're unlikely to see it.

Bachmann has focused on narrow gauge equipment, while USA and Aristo have focused more on standard gauge.... asking one for the other is quite a bit like walking into a Jaguar dealer and demanding they explain why they don't build 4x4 pickup trucks, because if they did "Everyone" would buy one.  In the case of the models, it becomes even further entrenched, because even if there was a crossover model released (say, for example, Bachmann decided to build a 1:29 F40PH ... it wouldn't run with anything else the company made and look right to anyone who knew anything about the equipment the models represent.

Matthew (OV)

Tony Walsham

Quote from: scottychaos on November 21, 2007, 10:13:09 AM
BIG SNIP
IMO, MTH made a mistake by doing their Large Scale locos in the O-scale "toy train" style..and making them 1/32 instead of 1/29.

Scot

My opinion is different.

I think making them to 1:32nd scale was the corect thing to do.
Where MTH erred is in making the use of the their proprietary DCS control system mandatory.
I know of many regular LS'ers who would invest in most of the MTH LS offerings if they could choose the sound and control system of their choice.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

norman

Hi there:

I saw a MTH 1:32 scale Hudson demonstrated at a local Hobby shop a few years back. The Hudson is beautifully detailed and the hidden secret is the sound and smoke system. The dealer ran the Hudson under the laboured chuff setting with heavy synchronised smoke blasting out of the stack. Staring at the engine head on at track level looked realistic enough to stand in for a movie scene.

I would like to convert my Bachmann engines to 2 rail AC operation to use the MTH sound/smoke system but a flywheel is required to be installed on the motor shaft. Difficult.

Hopefully, Bachmann will eventually upgrade to synchronised puffing smoke to match the new sound systems.

MTH made a huge error in selecting the correct 1:32 scale. The incorrect 1:29 scale produces a larger model and people like it. 1:29 is the scale for standard gauge models.

Mr. Bachmann, with your Williams acquisition, maybe the O Scale puffing synchronised puffing smoke technology can be applied to future 1:20.3 steam models? If this happens, please provide kits for retrofitting our existing locomotive purchases.

Norman

Curmudgeon

Actually, the TAS smoke units can be "pulsed" off a chuff trigger.
That's how USA Hudsons do it.
No need to go "AC" on the rails.
No need for a flywheel.
The flywheel is actually a code wheel to control the unit with their control system.
Whan we rip out Mikey's Mandatory on-board equipment (in 3-rail "0" and in 2-rail LS), we leave the flywheel, and cut out the sensor and everything else.

YellowHillsCentral

I was really hoping that someone would make whitepass diesel. I'd really need a diesel on my route for a road engine. The only problem with a GE96 is that there is only really one way it can look (like the F7s) so you would need two of them. Now, the Bombardier and the ALCo would be great. Another problem is that LGB's ALCo White PAss diesel is in 1:22 scale right? I'm just afraid it would look like a shrimp on my layout next to my shay which I just got two days ago. That thing is huge!

Shay Ludlow

Kevin Strong

LGB's version of the White Pass diesel can hardly even be described as "1:22." It's done to LGB's typical "selective compression" scale. The prototype White Pass diesels are HUGE! Plans I have measure to 50' long by 9.5' wide. That's 30" x 5.5" in 1:20.3. Just as the B'mann Shay would make LGB's version look like a shrimp, a true 1:20.3 version would make the Shay look like a shrimp. I agree, it would be an awesome sight, but would most likely prove to be too large to fit on most peoples' railroads.

The good news is that diesels are "easy" to scratchbuild, at least when compared to steamers. LGB, USA, and Aristo-Craft (and Bachmann) provide ample varieties of motor blocks and truck sideframes to serve as a platform, and the rest can be built from styrene. While I'm loathe to admit to it, I did "experiment" in my formative years...

(At least it had siderods! ;D )

Really, it's a matter of how you want to spend your time. You can either sit and wait patiently for someone to maybe produce the prototype you like, or you can use that time to slowly chip away at building a model of it. Perhaps something like the White Pass diesel would be a daunting first project, but something simpler like the D&RGW's #50 or the Whitcomb 40-tonner I did would be much simpler to start. With the internet, there are plenty of experienced modelers who will readily help you along with advice and techniques.

I do have to agree with the majority opinion here that the vast majority of people in 1:20.3 want steam locos, and there are still numerous ubiquitous or popular prototypes that really should be addressed first. (Hello!!! C-19?) I do think something like the SP's "Little Giant" would have a fair level of appeal. It'd still be fairly large--18" x 5.5", but shorter than the 30" of the White Pass loco, and a bit narrower than the 45-tonner.

Later,

K

vic

Quote from: jpipkin on November 20, 2007, 09:05:47 PM
I vote for a scaled up version of the On30 Davenport.   

I agree, do it in 1/20...what the heck! They already HAVE the siderod drive brick, from the 45tonner, and the master mold from the On30 model. It would nicely complement the lower priced Porters...