OFFICIAL 2016 THOMAS & FRIENDS ANNOUNCEMENT

Started by InsideTrack, February 12, 2016, 04:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

For anyone curious about how the O-16.5 kits for China Clay and Old Vans are, here's a pic:

They're both as wide as Bill and Ben but the van is pretty tall.

sean1994rail

sodorlad

I'm going to take the centre ground on this...

I think Chaz is probably right with his speculation. Mattel have obviously had a hand in this year's product choices. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing though and rolling stock wise, there is arguably not much that hasn't been explored already - bar perhaps hoppers and brake van variety

I remember the last time we had this much rolling stock announced... It was the year that included the well, 6ton and br wagons. The difference was these were based from TV pieces. They are now discontinued, including other iconic pieces, like the coaches. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Us guys that take time to post here are just a fraction of the consumers of the Thomas range. Parents whose kids probably experienced Thomas from season 8 or 13 onwards are the main client. Therefore it's no surprise we have gimmicky releases. They sell well in other Thomas toy ranges, so it's no surprise Bachmann are taking a punt on them.

The lobster car can be seen in Take and Play:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjD1oCVwPXKAhXIJJoKHYO-D1oQjhwIBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FThomas-Friends-Trains-Metal-live-lobster-Jet-Fuel-Tanker-Kid-Toy-%2F252157774818&psig=AFQjCNFwnyL2AjOlQ82cHN6H234QBtC-mQ&ust=1455479059165001&rct=j

I would rather the Bachmann version a van than a tanker.

The fruit and veg van can be seen in Trackmaster:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjD1oCVwPXKAhXIJJoKHYO-D1oQjhwIBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FThomas-Friends-Trains-Metal-live-lobster-Jet-Fuel-Tanker-Kid-Toy-%2F252157774818&psig=AFQjCNFwnyL2AjOlQ82cHN6H234QBtC-mQ&ust=1455479059165001&rct=j

I presume they will use the ice cream wagon tooling for this and for the other LS vans too. Shape wise not much variety, but at least Bachmann are exhausting the design options in one year, rather than drip feeding over the next 3, like they did with the tankers and wagons.

I would still love Henrietta, the mail and the red coaches in the LS future.

I imagine the LS explosive van to be this design from the HiT era;
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/2/22/ThomasAndTheFireworkDisplay15.png/revision/latest?cb=20150419171602

Last year, it was the 70th anniversary... I take the release of Skarloey and Oliver as a love letter to the fans. This year, it's business as usual. Though do remember we have Rheneas!

Rosie, from a design point of view, is an interesting character choice. Yes, her personality isn't fleshed out, but she does have a presence in the CGI era. At ThomasLand UK, she is branded EVERYWHERE next to Thomas. She obviously has sales power - I will buy one!

On a last general note, I've been a member of the Bachmann forum for nearly a decade. Both the behaviour of posters AND the reactors is putting me off visiting... I hope the atmosphere can change. We should all think before we post... Let's not be unnecessary and also not unnecessarily cruel.
Botheration...

Jacob Wilson

^^^^ Above 4 Replies - @Reply #45 By Sparks: Which manufacturer are those Open Wagon's and Closed Van made by, Sparks?

^^ Above 2 Replies - @Reply #47 By sodorlad: Yes, that is a good point about Thomas Land. Thomas Land in the UK is part of Drayton Manor Theme Park, and there everything is pretty much themed as Thomas and Rosie. Thomas obviously because he the main Engine and he is a boy, and Rosie because she has been selected to be used as the main girl Engine.

Rosie is popular and I like her and I am really happy Bachmann are releasing her. This the 10the year now since Rosie's introduction into the Series, and we are at least 9 - 8 year's late of her release into model railway's. Better late than never though!

TTTE1945

Has Oliver been revealed at the toy fair yet?

Jacob Wilson

Does anybody know when the Bachmann Trains 2016 Catalogue will be released? I am interested in knowing the RPP's and seeing the prototype images for: Rosie, Sodor Salt Wagon, Troublesome Truck #5, GWR Cattle Wagon, Refrigerator Car - Live Lobsters, Rheneas and the three Slate Wagon with Load's.

JD417

This was really quick, the body shells are done for the 3 new Large Scale pieces!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbIX8wXUkAAdc5a.jpg

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #51 By JD417: Flipping heck! That was quick, being that the Sodor Fruit & Vegetable Co. Box Van, Explosives Box Van and the Great Western Box Van where announced yesterday! I really want these Box Van's, especially the Sodor Fruit & Vegetable Co. one. I wish these where being released in the HO/OO Gauge range as well.

JD417

I would love them in HO as well. I'd much rather prefer those over the plain blue one we have now.

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #53 By JD417: I agree. The plain blue Ventilated Van is nice, but I want Bachmann to release more plain ones in different colours and in liveries to carry specific goods. It would great if Bachmann release a Mr. Jolly's Chocolate Factory Ventilated Van, a Sodor Fruit & Vegetable Co. Ventilated Van and a Fireworks Ventilated Van in HO/OO Gauge. These would be amazing to own!

LittleWesternAdventures

Sounds like a good lineup, mostly for Rheneas. Obviously not as impressive as last year's, but lets face it, when you release classics like Oliver, Skarloey and Toad in the same lineup, not to mention great rolling stock and resin, it's hard to follow it up. Either way, its Bachmann so expect quality stuff as always.

ThomastheTankFan

Looking forward very much to the sound versions of the 'G' Scale Thomas and Percy for my collection...
Owner of the following Thomas & Friends 'G' Scale items:
* Thomas, Percy & Toby
* Annie & Clarabel
* Troublesome Trucks 1 & 2, S.C.RUFFEY, Tidmouth Milk Tank & Brakevan
Also the following in 'HO' gauge
* Thomas the Tank Engine 'Sound
* Annie & Clarabel

Jacob Wilson

^^ Above 2 Replies - @Reply #55 By LittleWesternAdventures: Last years releases was for the 70th Anniversary of Thomas, but this year is a good release as well. I think this year's is as good as 2015.

Chaz

Well here is a video showing the 2016 catalog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2iVKlRwfK8

I think the large scale vans look all right and I figured that they were going to be repaints of the same van tooling as the ice cream wagon, which isn't bad but nothing that I see myself screaming over.  It was also great seeing the display too in the photo shown earlier too.  I can see the Great Western one in particular being popular, but I'm not so sure on the other two.

The HO rolling stock though... Wow!

Troublesome Truck #5 is literally the same salt wagon we had before but it has a classic model face on it!  That by itself is incredible and I am definitely going to pick one or two of them up.  A HUGE improvement over trucks #3 and #4, well done Bachmann! :)

The GW cattle van looks pretty nice too, I don't think it's anything spectacular but it was a lot better than what I expected even though I'm probably going to pass on this one.  I'll be passing on the Sodor Salt Wagon too.  I'll admit now that I saw this and Troublesome Truck #5 I can't see this one being popular since the current salt wagon technically came back to the range (with a classic face on it as an added bonus) and I imagine that will do a lot better than the Sodor salt wagon, but that's just my own assumption.  I am also passing on the lobster car too.  As I said earlier, that one has Mattel's name written all over it.

Also the slate car image from season 6 was a nice touch but it's a shame there is no reference photo for the time being showing the actual stock, but my money is on the Peco slate cars with slate load(s).

Honestly I don't think that this years announcements were as bad as I thought before now that I at least got to see the rolling stock but I do think that as a whole there were some things that I wasn't impressed with besides Rosie such as the idea of doing DCC in large scale and some of the rolling stock choices in HO and large scale.  I am definitely most excited for Rheneas, I am really looking forward to him! :)

So I guess my views at best is basically "hit and miss" for this years announcements.  I think that some of the stuff that got announced this year (and that also includes some of the stuff I won't be getting) will pay off really well and will do great for Bachmann, others I'm very indifferent to but to each his own.  I'll only be getting Rheneas and Troublesome Truck #5, otherwise that's about it.  Now I can at the very least say that this years announcements were a little better than I thought which is also a nice plus.  While I do think that some of the other products that got announced this year do look nice most of it isn't really something I'm interested in picking up personally but that's just me.  It's a shame that Oliver and Winston had no photos in the catalog yet but hopefully we will be able to see them soon in the not too distant future.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

JLK2707

I will definitely be getting a whole heap of troublesome truck 5 and the gwr cattle van! I will also get the lobster van and rheneas and rosie! I will also get the narrow gauge rolling stock and the sodor salt wagon in lots! WOW! :D