Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 20

Started by MeganekkoFury1126, February 12, 2016, 05:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLK2707

Also, when will season 20 air?

TrainFan97

Oliver and Duck's recent appearances have been feeling extremely forced. Both Great Western engines desperately need more screen time, and dialogue. Hopefully this season, the Scottish Twins and Daisy will feel like actual characters. So far, the only returning characters that feel like actual characters are Harvey, Toad, Bill, and Ben.

Let's also hope BoCo returns this year, if not, next year. If BoCo does return, they better not butcher him to being shoehorned for fanservice, like the Great Western engines.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

MeganekkoFury1126

You know, it kind of bewilders me that people point out that Duck and Oliver in particular are shoehorned into many an episode, but this has happened many times in the classic era, especially in season 3 and 4, and no one seems to complain about them there.

But that aside, we'll see how season 20 turns out with them. Like I said, with all 4 Little Western core members revived, there's a lot of potential to make stories on Duck's Branch Line.

We'll also see how they're handled in the Great Race, since the trailer shows them (if only for a brief moment).

TrainFan97

Since his return, Oliver still has yet to get an episode to himself.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

I agree that it's frustrating that Oliver has yet to have a starring role and they give story opportunities to Toad.  I like Toad and all, but they really gotta cut his usage to a minimum and instead give Oliver the lead role and have Toad be the minor character in the story as opposed to the other way around.  It's not just a disappointment, but it's to a point where it's getting really tiring and Toad getting episodes just isn't that exciting anymore. 

Duck on the other hand has had three starring roles since his return in season 17.  I don't mind that they gave Duck a break and reduced his usage in season 19, but I would like to see more roles from both of great western engines in season 20.  My hopes aren't exactly that high though since they would most likely focus on giving stories to Daisy, and Donald and Douglas first since they only just now returned.

If there is anything else I particularly want this season it's some more narrow gauge episodes.  My only preferences for this are that they would not take place in the Blue Mountain Quarry and that they do not give Duncan the starring role.  Sir Handel and Rusty in particular I would love to see get starring roles.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

It would be nice to see an episode about Duck and Diesel again. We haven't seen that since Season 3.

thomasj219

I would die if they did a Duck and Diesel episode.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

TrainFan97

Nowadays, the only engine Diesel has a rivalry with is a certain blue tank engine...

Nowadays, the only trait we ever get to see from Duck is his Great Western pride. Great Western this. Great Western that. In the classic series, he was more than that. Duck was honest, wise, and hard-working too. He's really overdoing his "There are two ways of doing things. The Great Western way, and the wrong way!" don't we know it?!

Thomas has been having way too much screen time, even for a main character.

MeganekkoFury1126

As much as I really like Duck's recent starring episodes and Spencer's VIP, I do agree that an episode about Duck not talking about the Great Western would be a nice break. All at Sea has been my favorite Duck episode of the whole series because it fleshed out Duck as a daydreamer, and I'd really enjoy if they focus on that aspect of his personality again.

And yes, they still need to stop shoehorning Thomas in the new episodes. It's still more irritating for him to be shoehorned than any other character because it has been done to death already in the Barlow era. Season 19 in particular had him in every episode, including ones that didn't need him at all like Salty All at Sea, Toad and the Whale, Rocky Rescue, and No Help At All.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Quote from: TrainFan97 on May 17, 2016, 02:36:49 PM

Nowadays, the only trait we ever get to see from Duck is his Great Western pride. Great Western this. Great Western that. In the classic series, he was more than that. Duck was honest, wise, and hard-working too. He's really overdoing his "There are two ways of doing things. The Great Western way, and the wrong way!" don't we know it?!

"Duck is Great Western and talks endlessly about it"

I fail to see the problem...
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Original James on May 17, 2016, 06:08:43 PM
"Duck is Great Western and talks endlessly about it"

I fail to see the problem...
I don't see an issue with it, provided it isn't played up too much, and his other personality characteristics can at least be brought to the table, he's more than just "Great Western and proud of it" after all. That's my two cents though :)
~Alex

TrainFan97

In 2013, they brought back Duck, Harvey, Jack, Bill, and Ben.
In 2014, they brought back Oliver, Toad, Duncan, and gave Henrietta a face.
In 2015, they brought back Oliver from the Pack, Alfie, Daisy, Donald, Douglas, and Max and Monty who never spoke.

In 2016, who knows what characters will return? Let's hope BoCo will return. If not, next year. BoCo has a great personality. Nowadays, the only one keeping Bill and Ben in order is Marion. It would be nice to see Edward with the twins again too.

Trevor will speak this season. Christopher Ragland confirmed it on Twitter. It would also be nice if Terence came back. He hasn't spoke since Season 5. BoCo hasn't appeared at all since Season 5.

Last year's returnees were all re-introduced in Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure. Maybe we'll see even more returnees in Season 20. It's possible. The ones I see that have great potential are BoCo, Terence, or even Arthur. Arthur's branch line is in CGI. Why not Arthur himself? I don't know about Stepney.

If BoCo does return, who should voice him?

JLK2707

Can you please see if there are just any more episodes for season 20?

MeganekkoFury1126

Quote from: JLK2707 on May 18, 2016, 08:36:31 PM
Can you please see if there are just any more episodes for season 20?

I did. There aren't yet.

TrainFan97

Another character that needs to return is Derek. He really didn't need to be a one-off character. Derek has a great personality, a jolly diesel who's very helpful, but prone to breaking down, and overheating when going up hills. He did make a music video cameo in Calling All Engines. His name was never explicitly said, and they just called him "the new diesel".

I fail to understand why he never truly came back. It would be nice to see both Derek and BoCo in the CGI series. I don't know who should voice BoCo. I think Tim Whitnall should voice Derek.