Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 20

Started by MeganekkoFury1126, February 12, 2016, 05:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean1994rail

Quote from: Chaz on October 29, 2016, 05:26:48 PM
Quote from: ClrwtrMK2 on October 29, 2016, 10:27:14 AM
How's about they stop shoehorning any member of the Steam Team period!

They're the main characters of the show, so naturally they will be used more often than minor characters.  Even then, I'd argue that some of the steam team members could benefit from a little more screentime.  Edward and Toby in particular.
Don't worry, Chaz. Toby will be getting a lot of screen time this season with Philip's New Friend and Hasty Hannah. As for Edward, I thought of a special film idea for him, called the Fast and the Furness, that would introduce Albert, Helena and Victoria to the TV Series, but for now, we'll have to wait what Season 20 will bring for Edward.

mully

Loving season 20 so far still feel the writers have kinda taken a step back from season 18 but rest of the season remains to be seen. Side note noticed that in some other merchindice froms they are releasing Hugo and skiff together and in another Ryan and jerome together wondering could these be season 20 related. Hugo is an air ship and skiff needs wind to move so that could be an episode there. As for Ryan and Jerome feel that could be an episode too. Very unusual to release to characters off too separate specials who never even got screen time in a set.

Metal

And like always the Japanese always have it best. Seems we have more S20 coming earlier than UK/US.
http://www6.nhk.or.jp/anime/topics/detail.html?i=4283

MeganekkoFury1126

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M7soe8GNNXk

New preview up for the next DVD focusing on season 20. Bring on the thoughts, fans!

DinoNTrains

I couldn't help but notice a bull in that shot of Daisy swerving to avoid it. Bulls Eyes reference, much? ;)

Also, nice to see that Jerome and Judy will be returning, as I honestly thought that they were only made for The Adventure Begins. Anyone else think that there might be a future episode that concerns Jerome and Judy and Rocky?
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

MeganekkoFury1126

Thanks to our friends in Canada, we got two more season 20 episodes already.

Ryan and Daisy
I've been a pretty big Ryan fan since his introduction in Lost Treasure as he is a really nice character, so I was pretty eager to see the first episode starring him. I'd say it worked out very well. Not as good as I thought, but still good. The story isn't really anything new or intricate, and it has been done in the series quite a few times already. It's rather straightforward, too, as is the moral, but definitely made quite good with Ryan and Daisy's different personalities playing off each other. I particularly liked how Daisy used her feminine manipulation to trick Ryan to do her jobs. You also have to admire Ryan's noble attitude, even if it's not healthy. I'm still a bit disappointed that Eddie Redmayne no longer voices him, but Steve Kynman still does a good job in the role. All the little nods of Daisy in the classic era from her not taking the milk train and not being able to shoo a bull off the line were nice touches. The moments with Sir Topham Hatt were definitely humorous, plus I did love seeing Arlesburgh West junction expanded, much like Knapford station in season 18. Davey Moore seems to have a good streak with writing the classic and newer characters, and while it's not quite as good or as entertaining as Railcar and the Coaches or Love Me Tender, it's still very solid. And thank goodness Thomas doesn't speak. 8/10

Pouty James
Andrew Brenner has done it again. It's clear that he just plain enjoys writing episodes with James - not that I blame him, since he's my second favorite member of the Steam Team. I'd go so far to say this is the funniest episode of Thomas yet. The animators must've had a field day making so many hilarious faces for the engines, and this episode proves how much Thomas can benefit with CGI. But not just with the faces, but with the quick cut juxtaposition humor. It's all edited perfectly. Not to mention the little bouts of dialogue sprinkled in. I also want to mention the new theme music by Chris Renshaw, which definitely feels like it pays tribute to his classic theme. In general, it definitely feels like a modern classic, and at times feels like a modern improvement over No Joke for James from season 3. Even though I'm not the biggest Stanley fan, I did like he was used with some significant speaking lines. The moral is also a nice fresh one that the series hasn't really touched on until now. Even though Andrew Brenner's writing quality sunk during last season, this one shows he's still got it. 10/10

Captain Crutch

Can I say that whoever replaced Redmayne did a great job, you can barely tell the difference. I know for a fact Redmayne doesn't voice Ryan anymore as his agent said so himself. It was SIOLT only. And it is nice to see Ryan back. Wish there was an explanation as to why duck is at the yard with the Mike Bert and Rex. That's my two cents into the Ryan and Daisy episode. I still must say Over the Hill, The Christman Coffeepot and Love Me Tender are my favorites so far though. I actually really like them in reality. Hope there's more episodes like these three coming up. Excited for Hugo coming soon, maybe his story will be as good as Glynn's.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

MeganekkoFury1126

I'm well aware of the change in voice. Like I said, it's a minor disappointment.

And to answer, Arlesburgh Junction is the end of Duck's branch line.

Chaz

We are now halfway through season 20, and so far I am really impressed. Not too many problems I have with this season, and I have found most of the episodes to be enjoyable. I look forward to finding out what the remaining five episodes are, as well as being able to watch the second half of the season from there. 

An interesting thing to note, Daisy is being used here more than she ever was in the model era.  It's a real treat seeing her utilized so well in the current series.  Looking forward to seeing what they do with Trevor too!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

sean1994rail

Quote from: MeganekkoFury1126 on November 14, 2016, 09:03:20 PM
Thanks to our friends in Canada, we got two more season 20 episodes already.

Ryan and Daisy
I've been a pretty big Ryan fan since his introduction in Lost Treasure as he is a really nice character, so I was pretty eager to see the first episode starring him. I'd say it worked out very well. Not as good as I thought, but still good. The story isn't really anything new or intricate, and it has been done in the series quite a few times already. It's rather straightforward, too, as is the moral, but definitely made quite good with Ryan and Daisy's different personalities playing off each other. I particularly liked how Daisy used her feminine manipulation to trick Ryan to do her jobs. You also have to admire Ryan's noble attitude, even if it's not healthy. I'm still a bit disappointed that Eddie Redmayne no longer voices him, but Steve Kynman still does a good job in the role. All the little nods of Daisy in the classic era from her not taking the milk train and not being able to shoo a bull off the line were nice touches. The moments with Sir Topham Hatt were definitely humorous, plus I did love seeing Arlesburgh West junction expanded, much like Knapford station in season 18. Davey Moore seems to have a good streak with writing the classic and newer characters, and while it's not quite as good or as entertaining as Railcar and the Coaches or Love Me Tender, it's still very solid. And thank goodness Thomas doesn't speak. 8/10

Pouty James
Andrew Brenner has done it again. It's clear that he just plain enjoys writing episodes with James - not that I blame him, since he's my second favorite member of the Steam Team. I'd go so far to say this is the funniest episode of Thomas yet. The animators must've had a field day making so many hilarious faces for the engines, and this episode proves how much Thomas can benefit with CGI. But not just with the faces, but with the quick cut juxtaposition humor. It's all edited perfectly. Not to mention the little bouts of dialogue sprinkled in. I also want to mention the new theme music by Chris Renshaw, which definitely feels like it pays tribute to his classic theme. In general, it definitely feels like a modern classic, and at times feels like a modern improvement over No Joke for James from season 3. Even though I'm not the biggest Stanley fan, I did like he was used with some significant speaking lines. The moral is also a nice fresh one that the series hasn't really touched on until now. Even though Andrew Brenner's writing quality sunk during last season, this one shows he's still got it. 10/10
I also like how Stanley, starting off as a one off character, is getting more roles. Maybe when Great Waterton is rendered in CGI, he might start running the Great Waterton-Vicarstown route. Also, maybe Stanley and Ryan would make a great dynamic with Stanley's cockiness and Ryan's eagerness to be really useful. As for Rosie, I hope they do the same thing.

mully

I have to admit that I really enjoyed Ryan and Daisy. Think enjoyed is more then pouty James which has good morals but could have been so much better. Loved Ryan and Daisy. Mr redmayne is a miss however. There was some really beautiful shots. Lot more to come with ryan and skiff this season. Can not wait to see it. Up coming episode "blown away" is one I am particular looking forward too

donaldthescottishtwin

Waiting for BoCo to be reintroduced...

MeganekkoFury1126

And so another week of season 20 comes and goes.

Blown Away
Even though Skiff doesn't appeal to me as much as Ryan in terms of getting episodes, I was still having good hopes for this one. First off, I'm glad we had a CGI episode that takes place primarily on the Little Western and doesn't involve any member of the Steam Team at all. Yeah, that Thomas appearance in the beginning was unnecessary, but fortunately he doesn't speak or appear for long. Some might say that Duck and Oliver felt a little mean to Skiff, but I do think it was a mix of concern and their familiarly proud personalities. I do really like that both sides aren't black and white - Skiff IS scared and easily in trouble as Duck and Oliver said, but can be a hero at the same time. Even though engines screeching to a stop just in time is getting really excessive, here they made it work very well. I wish they could do more episodes at night that involved tension like this. I'm looking forward to the episode that continues on from the ending, where Skiff gets his 'reward.' 9/10

The Way She Does It
Brenner has gotten quite a bit of criticism since season 19 and the Great Race, and I can see why people give it. He does have pacing issues in many of his episodes, and this one does have that in some areas. Nonetheless, I still see that he can make good episodes. This is one of them, and Daisy gets yet another episode to herself. Whilst it's not quite as strong as the past two, there's still a lot to admire. First off, I love Brenner's meticulous attention to detail in the story - every mistake that Daisy makes is given a legitimately good reason to happen, unlike in the Barlow era where every mistake would happen by the the main character even thought he/she would know everything they should from the beginning. I must criticize again Thomas appearing even though there's no reason for it. I'm pretty sure Daisy represents the audience when she doesn't care what important stuff he says he's doing. But I did enjoy seeing Ryan, Duck and Oliver - engines that DO make sense for the story's setting. I love Duck's hilariously awkward moment of him trying to comprehend Daisy's bragging. I'm also guessing that bull is going to be recurring in all of Daisy's episodes now. All in all, a very very funny and smart episode, something we should come to expect from Brenner after Pouty James. 8/10

sean1994rail

My Review on Henry in the Dark

Pros
Use of Railway Signs
Endless gags with the green glow paint on Henry, including TFC getting scared.
Henry not being the coward, and standing up for himself for once.
The Sad Story of Henry reference

Cons
Nitpick: Edward's portrayal, being scared and not defending Henry.

Final Episode Rating: 10/10

sean1994rail

My review on Three Steam Engines Gruff

Pros
Trevor speaking again, and a new whistle, though I preferred his old one.
Jem Cole being mentioned
Use of the Watermill Set
Reference to the Three Billy Goats Gruff

Cons
Toby being a scared wimp again, should have used Mavis.

Final Rating: 9/10

Now for Mucking About

Great story-line for Max and Monty's reckless behaviour
Moral: no mucking about
Policeman scolding them, wondered what would have happened to Max and Monty if they didn't obey the officer? maybe being wheel--clamped?
Edward's wise persona.

Cons
Nitpick: Where's Miss Jenny? though plot worked well without her, her appearance would have been nice, a real jack and the Pack Episode

Final Rating: 10/10

Now for Cautious Connor

Pros
Dramatic action of Connor breaking down.
'Eye of the Tiger' Score
Stephen mentioning his glory days, and his story of engines surviving self-explosions was a twist to RWS story 'Bad Look Out'

Cons
Nothing of note.

Final Rating: 10/10