News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engines in Scrap Yards

Started by Cheeky_ULP, November 19, 2007, 09:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CubanRailways

You could get an S160 in the UK for £15,000. Okay its from Poland, but would require about £140,000 to get it running.

If anyone is thinking about purchasing the Alaska Railroad one - think again, and look into transatlantic shipping costs!

Would be interesting to know whether a locomotive restored to working condition in the UK would be allowed to work in the US? Our boiler inspectors are no pushover. 

We have about ten working steam locomotives at the Bluebell, out of a collection of about 30! I think the UK must have the largest number of working preserved steam locomotives in the World - that is not an exageration! A few years ago, China was obviously the last place in the world with a mass of 'revenue' earning locomotives, but the UK is the place to see preserved steam. I think we have on average two trains a week leave London mainline stations on mainline steam charters.

Its such a shame seeing as there are so many stunning US locomotives that would be one hell of a sight working, being thrashed in second valve on the main line.........all boils down to bloody insurance these days......was good to see the two QJ's being imported into the US, but would rather see something homegrown.

Does anyone have a rough idea of how many steam locomotives are in operating condition in the US?

Cheers,

Stephen.

taz-of-boyds

Stephen,

I have on occasion visited this site:

- http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/

It seems to be comprehensive; it is an amazing and well done site that I have gotten good information from, (though I personally cannot attest to the accuracy).

While I was searching through Google I found this:

- http://nevadanorthernrailway.net/throttle/throttle042806.htm

I hope everyone finds it distressing.  I do!  The rabid anti-pollution crowd has tried to shut down the Western Maryland Scenic Railway, at least the 2-8-0 they operate.  (In theory Bachmann could number one of their locomotives WM 734 to match, though the locomotive is not a match in details.)  It is the only steam trip in Maryland that goes through the natural scenery of the original railroad (a nice 16 mile trip from Cumberland to Frostburg and 16 miles back).

Hope this helps,
Charles

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

SteamGene

I think the movement to shut down the Scenic Western Maryland came from some rabid hikers and bikers, not polluters.  The state of Maryland is building a rails to trails route that goes through Cumberland and along the SWM right of way and they were afraild of mixing train and trail.  Apparently that problem was solved.  I know I rode last year and the engineer whistled for every trail crossing, even though it was still under construction and the crossings are so well marked you'd think the interstate was crossing, not a path! 
OTOH, apparently because of complaints, the steamer arrives at the Cumberland station towed by a GP? (probably 9) because of ordinances about smoke between the roundhouse (?) and the station.  But as it passes into the station area and the d----- cuts loose, there is an enormous puff of smoke, very black, very thick!
BTW, steam locomotive pollution is actually a help.  The cinders are carbon and act as a fertilizer - check plant growth along right of ways.  They are heavy enough to settle locally and fast, great for plants, but bad for the Monday morning wash.  I'm told that housewife's used to time their laundry by the train schedule if they lived close to the tracks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

Working steam in the U.S.?  In any given year, the number seems to be about 150.  I think the U.K. has us beat these days.  Hell, they're even building a new one over there!  I was fortunate to see some big steam in tourist service around here--N&W 611, C&O 614, N&W1218, SR(C&O) 2716, several Reading T-1's, the 4449 in Freedom Train colors.  It was a big blow when NS got out of the steam program!

taz-of-boyds

Gene,

That is a different WMSR topic.  The trail is complete now, and amazingly enough when we rode it this year the real bikers that were on the trail seemed smart enough to avoid and enjoy the train.  We even got through Brush tunnel without stopping.  The MD bureaucrat tourism guy and rabid bikers wanted to stop the train from going through the tunnel.  They seemed to believe the bikers would be in there and suffocate, and maybe they will some day.  The MD bureaucrat tourism guy had the story that the tourists should be just as happy to ride the train a couple miles out then back again, yea right!  But the procedure out of Ridgly seems to be the final fallout of the rabid anti-polluters (as opposed to a reasonable anti-polluter).  I have not heard but I hope things are at peace now.

Thanks,
Charles

SteamGene

There are no laws against stupidity. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

RAM

At one time there was a steam train from Chester NJ to Long Valley NJ.  The  anti-polluters stopped it.  There may have been other things that entered in but the  anti-polluters was number one.

SteamGene

As a general rule the train goes through the tunnel twice a day.  It's real easy to put a sign on both sides:
BIKERS AND HIKERS!!
ON FRIDAY, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY
A STEAM LOCOMOTIVE COMES
THROUGH THIS TUNNEL AT
APPROXIMATELY XX:XX AND YY:YY.
IT TAKES Y MINUTES TO PASS
THROUGH. 
LISTEN FOR THE WHISTLE.
DON'T BE IN THE TUNNEL
WITH THE TRAIN.  WAIT HERE
UNTIL IT PASSES. 
DON'T FORGET TO WAVE AT
THE ENGINEER.
Remember, steam locomotives give off big pieces of cinder - mostly carbon, which quickly falls to earth and fertilizes the surronding land with a natural fertilizer.  It does not really pollute in the accepted sense of the word, though it does mess up laundry hung on the line. 
Chief Brass Hat