Reference Guide for 1960s Freight Cars

Started by Dakota7820, February 16, 2016, 03:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: Piyer on February 18, 2016, 09:31:06 AM
As to impulse buying... I'm modeling in both HO and N scales, and I've fixed both to specific times and locations. ...my credit card statements bear witness to the fact that I still impulsively buy things that fit within my time periods / operating region / etc. - not to mention prototype rule books, employee and public timetables, and period photos or postcards of the towns I intend to model.

Thank you my friend, for assisting in illustrating my point :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 18, 2016, 07:24:23 AM

Yes, unless you pointed these things out to them, how would they know:  A) that only cars representing 1958 were present; B) it was Southern Quebec and C) it was not a layout you just made up?  What I am saying is, unless you went out your way to tell these people it was not any of these things, how would they possibly know?

I get it now.  But I'd have to do the same thing if I modelled say the CPR in the same or any other era and based it on Farnham Quebec.   :)

At least on the GER they won't see a mish mash of different road names on locos and cabooses, blatant mixing of eras with steam alongside the latest techno-toasters.  Hopefully, it's one harmonised picture that conveys the era and region I am attempting to portray.  Even though I freelance, I like to think I'm a prototype modeller.  In other words, I base all my modelling on what the prototype does.

That's my goal, not to say others who just like to run trains regardless of the prototype are wrong, it's just different strokes for different folks.

Cheers

Roger T.  

Len

Well...There are a few of us who have prototypical mish-mashes of "steam alongside the latest techno-toasters" by modeling a railroad museum.

Specifically, my layout (when it's not boxed up) is the KL&B Eastern Lines Railroad Museum, on what was a 35 mile branch line that was going to be abandoned by the Class-I that owned it at one time. I posted most of the back story some while ago.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Dakota7820

Len,

That's a very interesting modeling concept. How can I find your story on your railroad, and do you have a locomotive/rolling stock roster posted anywhere? I'd enjoy reading about it.
Dakota Davidson

jbrock27

Quote from: rogertra on February 18, 2016, 11:27:42 PM
...blatant mixing of eras with steam alongside the latest techno-toasters

Cheers

Roger T.

LOL !!  I just knew it was only a matter to time, before you would inject "techno-toasters" into the discussion :D  Thanks for not disappointing ;).

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: Dakota7820 on February 19, 2016, 11:18:28 AM
Len,

That's a very interesting modeling concept. How can I find your story on your railroad, and do you have a locomotive/rolling stock roster posted anywhere? I'd enjoy reading about it.

The short version is here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30035.msg221213.html#msg221213

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Dakota7820

Sounds like lots of fun. A very good way to realistically run what you like no matter what the era. Thanks for sharing!
Dakota Davidson

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 19, 2016, 12:23:06 PM
Quote from: rogertra on February 18, 2016, 11:27:42 PM
...blatant mixing of eras with steam alongside the latest techno-toasters

Cheers

Roger T.

LOL !!  I just knew it was only a matter to time, before you would inject "techno-toasters" into the discussion :D  Thanks for not disappointing ;).

Techno-Toasters, one of my favourites.  :) 

Cheers

Roger T.