News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

insulated vs electrified forgs

Started by jlc41, February 16, 2016, 06:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlc41

I have a DC layout. I need some turnouts. Looks like Peco fits what I am doing. However I don't know which is better, the Insulated or electrified? Any advise would be very appreciated.   

jbrock27

I use insulated on my DC layout just fine ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

I haven't yet seen any forgs on my railroad. :o :o :D :D

RAM

with electrified frogs you don't have locomotives stall on the turnout.

jbrock27

I don't have (DC) locos stall on my insulated turnouts ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I've done my time in the insulated vs powered frog wars. So, except to say I use both depening on the situation, I'm staying out of this one. ;) ;) ;D

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

if you are using peco, insulated frog vs electro frog has a different meaning than with most other brands. the peco electro frog switches are power routing, meaning that the frog and associated rails on both routes are the same polarity. which polarity depend on which way the switch is thrown. the train will run on the route selected, but anything on the other route will not move because both rails on that track are the same polarity.

the advantage for me was that I could simplify the wiring in stub end yard and spur tracks by letting the switch itself cut power to those sections, they didn't need to be wired to block toggles. but if you are using them on double ended siding tracks, you need to insulate the rails between the two end switches or else you will get a short circuit every time you throw jut one switch.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on February 17, 2016, 09:42:58 AM
if you are using peco, insulated frog vs electro frog has a different meaning than with most other brands.

I am very glad you pointed that out Mr. Ward, as I should clarify that I use Atlas or similar brand turnouts and not PECO.  My apologies if my answers have created any confusion and/or misdirection. :-[
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

atlas have a frog that is totally insulated from the rest of the switch, and can be powered is so desired using an atlas snap relay wired in parallel with the switch motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA