News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding a mining district (pics)

Started by Ken Huck, February 19, 2016, 03:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Huck

First I arranged a few mine structures, then put cardboard silhouettes for a rough idea of what I wanted.

With that, I started to add rock castings from molds.

I figured approximate location for mine entrances and used 'matchstick' entrances.

I filled in the spaces between the rock molds with more plaster and added scenic material.

I added a 'second' layer of bluffs and hills higher up and 'beyond' the back of the first piece.

You can tell the smaller tufts of trees seem to be a lot more distant into the scenery that the larger 'puff ball'
trees on the earlier pieces of scenery to the left.  I'll also have to 'blend' the two pieces together and rearrange
the trees with the smaller ones to the back to create a 'forced perspective'.  I still have to add a meadow beneath
the bridge.

That's about for now, thanks for looking.

Ken

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

rogertra

Not a fan of pun names on model railroads but I must admit that's a good one.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

WoundedBear

Quote from: rogertra on February 19, 2016, 08:58:30 PM
Not a fan of pun names on model railroads but I must admit that's a good one.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

I'm glad we can agree to disagree.....lol. My whole Railway is based on puns. Lye, Stihl & Djheet = Lie, Steal & Cheat  ;D

Sid

Ken Huck

I saw that one a little different on another railroad: "Lye Cheaton Steel".  The guy that built it may
have been into 'Heavy Metal'.

Once I add a port, I'll probably go with 'The Phanta Sea RR'.  Then again, I may have to Wayton see...

Ken

Trainman203

Sid, when I was a kid, "djheet" was a country contraction for "did you eat?".

electrical whiz kid

Names based on puns can be humourous, risqué, or bone-dry.  I like a 'dichotomy' so to speak.  All in all, the 'name' thing denotes depth of thought, or just plain 'funny-bone' of the owner.  It all started, I think, with a witty "Gorre and Daphetid...

Rich C.

Trainman203

I always thought as a kid that John Allen's railroad was called the Goar and Daff-a-Ted.

Ken Huck

Sorry to create such a controversial chain on a pure 'fantasy' subject.  If there is any misunderstanding on naming
fictitious locations the I suggest those with any questions read the book "Model Railroading with John Allen".  It's
about his construction of his railroad the 'Gorre and Daphetid' .  Pronounced 'gory and defeated' as explained in
the book.

Model railroading is a hobby (or so I thought) and not a scale reproduction of history.  It's supposed to be fun.  If
you wish to produce a specific location or model a specific railroad, be careful.  There might still someone out there
who will call you on your bluff and say, "I was there, and it wasn't like that."

I hope I don't get a call from the Disney foundation saying that Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, and
Sneezy are all on strike due to the negative publicity.

Ken 

J3a-614